Instead of Botox, Try This!
How many times did you stand in front of the mirror this week gently lifting the sides of your face up and back into your hairline? This futile action may have temporarily "lifted" your appearance, but if you want to have lasting results, those sagging cheek muscles need a rescue regime.
Full, beautiful cheeks are vital to a youthful face. Sagging cheeks, on the other hand, portray a clear indication that the muscles in the face no longer adequately support the skin.
How to Do Anti-Aging Facial Exercises
- A facial massage can easily be done at home using a good-quality moisturizer.
- With the fingers of both hands laying flat on your face, massage the moisturizer into your skin using firm, circular upward movements. The direction of the movement is important because an upward movement helps lift the muscles and the skin.
- At the same time, hold your head up with your chin thrust forward and your eyes wide open to stretch the skin smooth. It also helps to open your mouth so that your facial expression is one of wide-eyed astonishment.
- Make the massage as firm and as deep as you can, but take care not to pull or drag your skin. Your fingers must easily slide across your face.
- Cover every part of your face. Start with your cheeks and keep the movements circular and in an upward direction. Make your way right up to your hairline. Don’t forget your chin and the area under your jawline.
Results Over Time
- In week 1, you contract the upper cheeks and the upper eye muscles. These two exercises will noticeably improve the smoothness of your skin while lifting your cheeks, forehead, and upper eyes. Each exercise requires 35 seconds.
- In week 2, you add two new exercises that address the lower cheeks and lower mouth; this will firm and lift the jowls and pouches.
- Do all of these exercises every day for the next seven weeks, and you will see a difference!
Why Are Facial Exercises Important?
- If you want to extend the youthfulness of your skin and muscles, do facial exercises regularly.
- You should also do these exercises if you want to smooth out your frown lines, visibly tighten up a wrinkly neck, and lose your saggy cheeks.
- As with any exercise, it may take two to three weeks to see any noticeable improvement. Results will be more drastic if the exercises are done every day.
- Chewing also exercises the face.
- Smiling and laughing—although they may add a few lines around your nose, eyes, and mouth—exercise cheek muscles and pull the corners of your mouth in an upward direction, preventing your face from sagging.
- The muscles in your face react negatively to stress, emotion, and tension. It's easy to get into the habit of grimacing, frowning, and raising your eyebrows; this leads to lines and wrinkles that become more defined with each passing year.
Additional Anti-Aging Tips
- When most people think about facial anti-aging, they immediately think about moisturizing to keep the skin soft and supple. This is a good start, but you can go further than this by choosing a product that protects your face from the sun. It is a well-known fact that sun exposure causes dry skin, lines, and wrinkles. So you should choose a moisturizer with an SPF factor of at least 15.
- Wear sunglasses to protect the delicate area around your eyes. They also make you less likely to squint. Squinting at strong sunlight for long periods will cause crow’s feet and wrinkles.
- Exfoliate regularly to remove the top layer of dead skin cells. If left untouched, this layer forms a hard crust and prevents your moisturizer from penetrating deep into your epidermis where it will deliver the most benefits.
- Take vitamin supplements, such as vitamins A, C, D, and E. These are powerful antioxidants that help fight free radicals. Vitamin E, in particular, is good for your skin, and you will find it in many anti-aging products. Eating a diet rich in these vitamins will feed your skin from the inside.
How Facial Exercises Work
- You can lift and tighten your facial features by using specialized contouring and isometric contractions to sculpt your facial muscles.
- A droopy face indicates that muscles are shifting and pooling into other muscles and muscle groups. When certain isometric contraction exercises are used, muscles "awaken" and begin to return to their more youthful shape.
- The skin is also revitalized as beneficial nutrients are unleashed via oxygenated blood. As a result, the muscles plump up, and the face looks younger.
Why You Have Sagging Skin
Nasal labial folds develop when the midface begins to sag, and that downward slide elongates your face in subtle ways. At first, you may notice fine lines developing and a slight shift in your facial appearance. You know what is happening, don't you? This is aging, and it won't stop.
The upper and lower face muscles weave over and under each other; one end attaches to bone in the skull, and the other muscle end attaches either to another muscle or directly to the skin. As these muscles soften from disuse, the fullness of your face is affected, and jowls, pouches, and sagging cheeks develop.
Atrophied, softened muscles drag down the skin to form the look of aging that we all dread. It's not funny seeing Great Aunt Hilda's chin developing below your jaw.
Do Anti-Aging Products Work?
- Men and women worldwide share the desire to maintain a youthful face. There was a time when anti-aging options were limited to mostly lotions and potions, facials, lasers, injections, and surgery.
- Consumers are now savvier, and they understand that temporary fixes are dangerous and require expensive maintenance. Who wants to frequently inject costly, synthetic chemicals and fillers into their bodies?
- In addition to wrecking your skin, there is evidence that many adverse reactions occur in the weeks and months following invasive procedures. These potential complications can include allergic reactions, swelling, inflammatory reactions that result in nodule formations, cold sores, arthritis, immune challenges, infection, bruising, bleeding, blisters, cysts, lumps, bumps, numbness, and migration issues.
- Remember, you might not see complications immediately, but they can rear their ugly heads at any time after the initial procedure has been completed.
The Dangers of Botox
There is nothing wrong with fighting a good fight to keep an aged face at bay. After all, who wants to look old? But some methods threaten our long-term health.
A liquid facelift (or Botox) is performed with needles that contain serums to plump and paralyze the skin. Unfortunately, testing has not been completed on the long-term results of these toxic injections. This is why you are required to sign paperwork that outlines the contraindications. The warnings include general symptoms like swelling, redness, and maybe a drooping eyelid that will probably correct itself in a few weeks—certainly in less than three months. But the most dangerous side effects include:
- Paralysis of a nearby muscle that could interfere with opening the eye(s)
- Disorientation, double vision, or past pointing (dizziness or imbalance)
- Temporary asymmetrical appearance
- Abnormal or lack of facial expression
- Local numbness
- Headache, nausea, or flu-like symptoms
- Swallowing, speech, or respiratory disorders
- Facial pain
- Product ineffectiveness
- Muscle atrophy
- Nerve irritability
- Production of antibodies with unknown effects on general health
- Serious disability
Statements That a Patient Must Agree to If They Choose Botox:
- I am aware and accept that no guarantees about the results of the procedure have been made or implied.
- I understand and accept that the long-term effects of repeated use of Botox Cosmetic are as yet unknown.
The effects of Botox are temporary, yet they can be lethal. It is scary to think about, especially now that there is evidence that the serum migrates via the nerve cells.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Allan Philip from Toronto on May 13, 2015:
Well done, I feel younger already. Thank you!
Tiffanypsen on January 06, 2015:
These anti aging secrets are awesome.I’m going to try some of these ! One of my friends got a cheek augmentation from Dr. Asif Pirani of Toronto. She had amazing results as it helped her look over 10 years younger. She has advised me to moisturize my skin with olive oil twice daily. I think this tip will be helpful; for your readers. Thanks for the great article.
NANETTE on October 31, 2012:
I have been doing the Facial Exercises and using your Facial Magic Lift Products now for six years and I am just so pleased with the results. No one will believe me if I tell them I am now 55 years old.
sord87 on August 24, 2010:
Something important to most women,an exercise that will keep younger look all the time.I think women should agree for what you have written and advise.Good information.TQ