Eat for Beauty | 15 Super Foods for Clear Skin
Looking in the bathroom mirror only to see a bulbous pimple comfortably sitting on your chin is definitely off putting first thing in the morning, but it doesn’t need much explanation when your daily lunch menu is composed of cheeseburger and fizzy drinks. They say what you eat is what you are and this is 100 per cent true. Feed your skin by eating nourishing vitamin-rich foods, and your skin will literally glow with health. But nowadays, most people grab their lunch from fast food restaurants or order a pizza for dinner. Fast foods are filled with high carbs that cause toxin build-up in our bodies leading to pus filled breakouts. If you want clear skin, then you have to start working from the inside-out. Nourish your skin by eating foods for clear skin. Here is a list of 15 amazing foods for clear skin that you can add to your daily diet:
1. Low fat dairy Dairy products such as skim milk and low fat yogurt, are especially rich in vitamin A which is essential for skin regeneration. Low fat yogurt contains live cultures that have anti-bacterial properties that fight off bacteria that causes pus filled acne.
2. Green Tea Containing as many as 200 bio active compounds, including polyphenols that contain flavonoids that contribute to healthy clear skin, this anti-oxidant rich tea is very beneficial for skin health. Green tea contains catechins which are natural antibacterial agents that destroy acne causing bacteria. The potent anti-inflammatory properties of green tea help reduce red swellings caused by acne. Drink at least one cup of steaming green tea and view your skin’s progress as it clears up, becoming vibrant and glowing.
3. Broccoli This dark green veggie has a rich content of antioxidants and is high in folate, fiber and vitamin A. Broccoli also has powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer properties as well. A particular flavonoid known as kaempherol helps reduce inflammation that can be caused by acne breakouts. Steaming and baking are the best ways to eat this cruciferous vegetable.
4. Fish Cold water fish such as salmon, mackerel and sardines are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids have potent anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation and pain caused by acne on skin, thereby helping to clear up rough, pimply skin. These healthy oils also reduce blemishes on skin caused by acne flare-ups.
5. Brown Rice Lay off white rice and start consuming brown rice, full of dietary fibre. Brown rice is digested more slowly by the body and therefore don’t lead to sudden spikes in insulin level in the blood. White rice, as well as other highly refined foods such as white bread, cause spikes in blood sugar, inducing the pancreas to produce more and more insulin to bring the sugar levels to an optimum level. In the process, the insulin produced sends signals to the oil (sebaceous) glands on our skin to increase production of sebum. Too much sebum leads to acne break outs. Brown rice also contains selenium, which helps maintain the elasticity of skin and reduce inflammations.
6. Pomegranates Rich in anti-oxidants including a flavonoid known as anthocyanin, pomegranates are excellent foods to eat for clear skin. Anthocyanin, which is responsible for their vibrant color, promotes optimum cell turn over which prevents clogged pores and also stimulates cell regeneration.
7. Walnuts They are rich in essential fatty acids, also known as EFA, these nuts are very nutritious and provide numerous skin health benefits. The essential fatty acids are somewhat similar to omega 3 fatty acids and are good for dry skin and people suffering from eczema.
8. Blueberries These delicious berries are a powerhouse of nutrients including vitamin C which is responsible for cell repair and tissue growth. Blueberries also contain powerful antioxidants that fight off free radicals, which steal oxygen from healthy skin cells, causing dull and unhealthy skin. Next time you have a fruit diet, remember to add these juicy berries to your breakfast menu to enjoy clear and healthy skin
9. Beetroot Purple and dark pink veggies contribute a lot towards healthy and clear skin. This purple root contains vitamin E, A as well as potassium, calcium and magnesium that are essential for epidermal growth and repair.
10. Kale A rich source of vitamin C, K, A and copper. Vitamin C aids in the production of collagen which is needed for strong and healthy skin. Vitamin K wards of cancer by fighting off free radicals and the sulphur content helps protect skin from harmful UV rays. The mineral copper aids in melanin synthesis.
11. Grapefruit Grapefruit has unique bioflavonoids that promote healthy clear skin. Grapefruit contains a phytochemical known as naringin which reduces toxins in the liver, leading to healthier skin. The skin is made up of collagen, which produces keratin, a fibrous protein making the outer layer of the skin. Grapefruit is rich in vitamin C, which is necessary for collagen production.
12. Carrots These orange underground stems are rich in vitamin A which prevents overproduction of cells at the surface of the skin. This leads to a lot of dead cells floating on the upper layer of the skin, causing clogged pores and hence leading to black heads and acne breakouts.
13. Garlic Garlic has powerful antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help bust acne from within by destroying the acne causing bacteria. Add garlic to your curries and soups to benefit from the skin benefits of garlic.
14. Sweet Potatoes Although they have a high natural sugars, sweet potatoes have a low glycaemic content and so are excellent foods for clear skin. Sweet potatoes that are of the yellow or orange colour also have a high beta carotene content, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A promotes cell renewal, thereby promoting healthy clear skin.
15. Avocado Although some people stay away from avocados because of its fat content, avocado is actually very good for maintaining healthy moisturized skin. This creamy food is rich in healthy mono saturated fats and vitamin E that feeds and nourishes the skin, making it vibrant and glowing. Avocados are also a rich source of flavonoids, antioxidants and carotenoids that replenish and moisturize dry and unhealthy looking skin. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce painful red swellings on skin, promoting clear skin.
Photos sourced from freedigitalfotos.net & Wikimedia commons. All photos edited by healthmunsta.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.