Homemade Eye Cream With Coconut Oil and Vitamin E
- Coconut Oil
- Vitamin E capsules (3 capsules or ¼ teaspoon per ½ - 1 oz size container)
Supplies You Will Need:
- Glass jar, lip balm tin, or a recycled contact lens case (use both sides)—the size is up to you, though small is usually best for eye cream products
- Small saucepan (for melting coconut oil) or use microwave for 3 - 5 seconds on low or medium setting
- Toothpick (wooden skewer or cocktail stick would also work)
- Fill your container with coconut oil.
- This is solid at room temperature so either add the coconut oil to a saucepan to melt, or use the microwave.
- Melting will only take a few seconds or a minute on the stove. Melt gently so as not to burn it. Coconut oil becomes liquid at 76 degrees Fahrenheit, which is not too hot.
- Remove from heat as it starts to melt.
- Pierce the vitamin E capsules and add to the coconut oil.
- Use the toothpick to blend the two ingredients together.
- Pop it in the fridge to solidify.
- That’s all there is to this easy eye cream!
- There is no need to keep it refrigerated. The oils will not go off or go bad.
- Cleanse the eye area, removing all traces of eye makeup, foundation, face powder or concealer.
- Use a spatula to remove a small amount of eye cream (more hygienic).
- Wash hands thoroughly before applying.
- Apply with your ring finger (least amount of pressure) lightly under the eye area, at the sides and over the eyelids.
- This may be used morning and night if you wish.
- Coconut oil and vitamin E are powerhouses in terms of skin benefits and this eye cream is a fantastic natural product that is 100% chemical, toxin, and synthetic fragrance free.
- Do not use any ingredient if you are allergic to it before contacting your doctor or seeking medical advice. A patch test is always recommended the first time you use any new ingredient or if you have highly sensitive skin.
- This eye cream makes a great gift idea for anyone! It is easy to make and it uses two easily accessible ingredients that will make quite a number of eye creams and save you money.
- You could customize them if you wish by adding essential oil but always check first that the essential oil is suitable.
- Evening Primrose oil is another great carrier or base oil that is excellent for anti-aging products so feel free to incorporate it into this. You could fill your container with half coconut oil, half primrose oil.
- I highly recommend watching the video below as it is an excellent recipe and video of an easy eye serum which sounds amazing!
Fabulous Natural Eye Serum Recipe Using Four Oils
On Anti-Aging Skin Care
A skin care routine is not complete without an eye cream, so in my bid to utilize beneficial natural ingredients, I set about looking at products that would tick my boxes.
Using an eye cream or gel is something I have done for many years, to soothe the skin, reduce under-eye puffiness, eliminate those dreaded dark circles, and fight the aging process through the years.
Yes, anti-aging skin care with additional benefits has been a priority for me.
Admittedly, I have primarily used store-bought varieties that included anything from the Body Shop to the American brand Clinique.
I have used many different brands mainly due to the fact that I have worked for a number of top cosmetic companies including Revlon, Clarins, Lancome, and Trish McEvoy and had to try them out.
All claimed to have the elixir of youth in their eye treatment creams, gels or serums which came at a price—both financially and physically-speaking since some of them could possibly have harmful side effects.
- Look Up Your Brand of Eye Cream—How Does It Rank?
800 brands of eye creams scientifically rated in three categories. Health, Environment and Society. See if your usual brand is here and how it rates, you may be surprised!
Using Eye Cream
Now however, I have become more aware of the harmful ingredients commonly used in many brands and their side effects.
The delicate skin around the eyes is far thinner than the skin anywhere else on our face or body, with the exception of the back of the hands.
The eye area is prone to signs of aging, including fine lines, crow's feet, and deep set wrinkles as we mature.
Facial expressions such as laughing (laugh lines) and smiling are a natural cause of lines around the eyes that we cannot and should not avoid.
They do add character and make us human after all.
Benefits of Eye Cream
- Improves skin texture
- Rich in antioxidants
- Reduces puffiness
- Reduces dark circles
- Smoothes and protects
- Treats wrinkles and fine lines
- Prevents premature aging
- Repairs sun-damaged skin tissue
- Improves appearance of eye area
- Improves skin discolorations
- Treats skin disorders
Coconut Oil Benefits
- Natural moisturizer
- Protects the skin
- Light oil perfect for the eye area
- Absorbs into the skin easily
- Removes undereye puffiness
- Removes "bags" under the eyes
- Treats wrinkles
- Softens the skin
- Antioxidant rich
- Suitable for all skin types
- Contains sunscreen
- Heals any damaged skin
- Skin cell renewal
- Anti-aging ingredient
- Brightens skin around the eyes
- Helps any psoriasis, eczema, or dermatitis around the eye area
- Antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties
- Perfect for massaging oil around the eye area
- Cost-effective ingredient
- May be used alone
- It is a carrier oil for essential oils
Top 10 Tips to Reduce Dark Circles
Benefits of Vitamin E
- Rich in antioxidants
- Protects delicate skin cells
- Anti-aging properties
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Regulates vitamin A
- Treats skin disorders including psoriasis
- Sun protection
- Excellent moisturizer for eyes
- Nourishes the skin
- Strengthens the skin tissue
- Improves skin elasticity
- Rejuvenates tired skin
- Removes dark circles
- Removes bags under the eyes
- Prevents age spots
- Maintains skin's oil balance
- Natural skin softener
- Smoothes the skin
- Improves the skin texture
Do you use eye cream?
© 2013 Suzanne Ridgeway