DIY Homemade Face Masks for Acne (How to Stop Pimples Naturally)
Acne can have a variety of causes, including hormone imbalances, genetics and both internal and environmental factors. Many people with acne may also have oily skin, but that doesn't necessarily mean oily skin leads to pimples. Some people are plagued with combination skin and have to deal with dry, peeling skin as well as acne; others have normal skin but still suffer from blemishes and spots.
3 DIY Face Masks to Combat Acne
These homemade face masks are packed with skin-friendly nutrients. Keeping your skin nourished will help you combat all sorts of problems, including oily, dry and combination skin. In turn, this will protect your skin from germs and excess sebum secretion.
1. Orange Juice and Baking Soda Face Mask
Made from nothing but orange juice and baking soda, this mask combats acne and helps fix excessively oily skin and peeling, flaky skin. When applying the mask, make sure that you scrub gently; the baking soda is gritty, which makes it a good exfoliant, but too much scrubbing can irritate your skin.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
Benefit for Skin and Acne
Mild abrasive. Deep cleans pores. Helps remove dead cells, excess sebum, grime and germs within pores and on the skin's surface. Minimizes oiliness on face.
Tightens pores, which limits excess sebum on skin surface. Has antibacterial properties that fight acne. Tones and brightens skin.
- Place the above ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- When you add the orange juice to the baking soda, it will start fizzing. Don't be alarmed! Wait for it to stop fizzing, and then mix the contents thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of the mixture over your clean face. Wait for 10–15 minutes while the mask dries.
- Rinse off the mask with cool water. Pat your skin dry with a soft towel. Apply a drop of olive oil to moisturize.
- When you're rinsing off the dried-up mask, keep your eyes tightly shut to avoid irritation from the baking soda or orange juice!
- Lightly scrub the mixture all over your face to exfoliate. Be gentle so you don't aggravate your acne.
- This face mask can itch and tingle a bit, but that means it's working—so try not to scratch your face. Distract yourself: Give yourself a pedicure or lie down and relax.
- Only use this mask once every 3 days.
2. Egg White and Lemon Juice Face Mask
This is one of the most popular masks for acne-prone skin. Egg white and lemon juice both help to control oil and tighten pores. With smaller pores, you'll have less oil secretion onto your skin's surface, which helps prevent breakouts. Lemon juice also has antibacterial properties and kills germs.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
Benefit for Skin and Acne
Rich in vitamins and proteins that nourish skin. Tightens and lifts face. Shrinks large pores. Minimizes oiliness on face.
Acts as a natural astringent. Has antibacterial properties that are effective against acne and bacteria. Tightens large pores. Great toner for oily skin.
Effective against acne and acne scars. Has anti-inflammatory properties that heal acne. Absorbs excess oil from skin pores and surface.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until it turns frothy. Stir in the lemon juice and turmeric powder.
- Apply the mixture all over your face. Allow it to set for 10–15 minutes.
- When the mask has completely dried, use warm water to loosen it. Rinse with cold water. Pat your skin dry.
- Try not to talk or smile too much while the mask is setting—this can stretch your skin and cause fine lines.
- While applying the mask, avoid your eyes and mouth. The skin in these areas is drier and more sensitive to fine lines and wrinkles if it gets stretched.
- If you get turmeric stains on your nails, you can remove them with lemon juice and a nailbrush.
3. Avocado and Honey Face Mask
Avocado and honey both have powerful properties that will keep your acne at bay. Both offer antioxidant protection for your skin, and they also nourish and hydrate your skin from within, curbing excess sebum secretion.
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
Benefit for Skin and Acne
Contains amino acids that help cleanse skin of impurities. Offers antioxidant and anti-wrinkle protection. Protects skin from free radical damage. Acts as a natural sunscreen that shields skin from UV damage.
Antibacterial and antiseptic. Kills off acne-causing bacteria. Cleans skin of dirt, germs and excess oil. Acts as a natural humectant that hydrates oily skin, reducing excess oils.
- Mash the ripe avocado in a small bowl with the back of a fork. Keep mashing until you get a consistent, lump-free mush. Stir in the raw honey.
- Slather the mixture over your face using clean fingers. Wait for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, rinse with cool water. Pat your skin dry.
- Use raw honey for the best results. Processed products contain additives that can cause skin irritation.
- Keep this sticky mask out of your hair by wearing a headband to pull back stray hairs (and bangs, if you have them).
- Apply this mask right before a shower for easy removal. Otherwise, rinse it off while standing over your bathroom sink or kitchen sink so you don't drip onto your clothes and the floor.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.