I love discovering and sharing DIY beauty tips, especially all-natural solutions that you can easily make at home.
Face scrubs are one of the best homemade remedies for blackheads. There's no need to use blackhead tools or harsh pore strips—both of these can damage skin and even leave your pores open to more germs and dirt, resulting in more blackheads! Simply combine a few kitchen ingredients to create a powerful, all-natural treatment.
1. Cleansing: Lemon and Salt Face Scrub
This lemon-and-salt face scrub is also known as the antibacterial face scrub. It uses two super blackhead-fighting ingredients: lemon and salt. Both are great for cleansing skin, leaving it fresh and dirt-free. Lemon removes all grime and dirt from the surface of the skin, preventing not only blackheads but also acne and whiteheads. Even the scent of lemon screams clean and fresh. Salt has antibacterial properties and can kill off the germs and bacteria that clog open pores.
Let's take an in-depth look at the benefits of these two ingredients:
|Ingredients||Importance in Face Mask|
Is a natural astringent that is rich in citric acid. Contains antibacterial properties that fight off germs inside skin pores. Deep-cleans pores. Regulates amount of oil production in skin, hence preventing blackhead formation.
Exfoliates and scours off dead cells, dirt, grime, excess oils, germs, and pollution from the skin's surface. Removes peeling skin, leaving it smooth and supple.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure water
- Combine the above ingredients in a small bowl.
- Using clean fingers, apply the mixture onto your face and massage in a circular motion. Don't scrub too hard, as you don't want a red, inflamed face.
- After scrubbing for two to five minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Splash your face with cold water to close your pores. Pat dry with a soft clean towel.
Your face will look amazingly refreshed, cleansed of all the dirt, excess oil, peeling skin, and dead cells.
- Don't use too much lemon juice. It's important that you do not use more than one part lemon juice for every two parts water. The citric acid in lemon juice is a natural astringent. If used in excess, it can irritate your skin, causing redness and a burning sensation.
- Change your pillowcases. If blackheads attack you often, you should try changing pillowcases every other day. Wash your pillowcases regularly because the fabric can collect oil and dirt from your face.
- Refrigerate your excess face scrub mixture. You can store your face scrubs in the refrigerator for up to one week. However, as soon as it starts smelling unpleasant, it is time to toss it out.
2. Exfoliating: Brown Sugar and Honey Face Scrub
Brown sugar and honey are both yummy kitchen ingredients. Together, they work hand-in-hand to gently exfoliate skin. Brown sugar is safe for all skin types, so it is perfect for sensitive skin. Honey has been hailed since ancient times as a great natural remedy for many ailments, including dry skin.
Here's a table showing these two ingredients and their benefits for skin:
|Ingredients||Importance in Face Mask|
Exfoliates gently. Deep-cleanses skin. Sloughs off dead cells and excess oil from skin surface. Contains alpha hydroxyl acids, which drive out toxins and germs from open pores.
Is antiseptic and antibacterial. Kills off germs and bacteria that clog open pores. Gently moisturizes and lubricates skin. Sticks to the blackheads in open pores and pulls them out when the face scrub is removed.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture onto your face with circular motions, avoiding the area around the eyes and mouth.
- Keep scrubbing for two to five minutes.
- When you're done, rinse off with warm water.
- Pat dry with a soft towel.
- If your face feels a bit dry, moisturize with a drop or two of olive oil.
- Stay away from harsh cleansers and soaps. Many face cleansers contain high amounts of chemicals and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), which strip your skin of natural oils. This causes your skin to compensate by producing excess oil, which clogs pores and creates blackheads.
- Steam your face beforehand. A facial steam will help open up pores and soften your face, enabling the blackheads to come out easily. Do this before using the face scrubs to push out blackheads faster.
- Don't over-wash your face. Yes, washing your face continuously throughout the day is not the right way to prevent/get rid of blackheads. In fact, over-washing your face will give you more blackheads, not to mention acne and whiteheads. What's the deal? Well, over-washing your face strips away most of the natural oils, inducing your oil glands to produce more oils. Excess oil is one of the causes of blackheads.
3. Softening: Oatmeal, Yogurt, and Orange Peel Face Scrub
This oatmeal face scrub contains oatmeal, orange peel powder, and yogurt. These three ingredients deep-cleanse, exfoliate, nourish, moisturize, and soften your pores, removing excess oil that would otherwise oxidize to form blackheads.
This table shows the importance of these blackhead-removing ingredients:
|Ingredients||Importance in Face Mask|
Absorbs excess oils, preventing the formation of blackheads. Gently exfoliates dead cells and peeling skin.
Orange peel powder
Gently exfoliates, nourishes, and hydrates skin. Contains citric acid, which disinfects and kills germs that clog pores.
Softens and nourishes skin. Contains probiotic enzymes that destroy germs on the skin's surface. Tightens large pores. Deep-cleanse open pores. Softens skin, making it easier for the blackheads to come out.
- 1 tablespoon ground oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon orange peel powder
- 2 teaspoons yogurt
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your face in gentle circular motions, focusing on the blackhead-infected areas.
- After two to three minutes, completely rinse the mask off with either a washcloth or your hands and warm water.
- If your face feels a bit dry and stiff, moisturize with a few drops of olive/coconut oil.
- Keep your hands down. Touching your face can contribute to blackheads and acne. Keep your hands away from your face.
- Gather your hair away from your face. One way to easily prevent blackheads and clogged pores is to tie back your hair and keep it away from your face.
- Clean your face in the morning and at night. As much as over-washing your face is bad, you must wash your face twice daily: in the morning and at night. Use mild cleansers and these natural scrubs to safely get rid of existing blackheads and prevent further ones from occurring.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Chicken Nugget on November 23, 2019:
I would also recommend coffee and honey lip scrub.
Ingredients: coffee ground and honey
Mix 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds and 1 tablespoon of honey together, leave at room temperature before applying to lips. The longer you leave it on the softer and moister your lips will get.
ayo on September 18, 2018:
ayy wasss gooooddd
Lisa on January 03, 2018:
What kind of yogurt do you suggest?
eram khan on August 16, 2017:
Thank u so much for your aamazing tips
Ana on May 30, 2017:
How often i need to do exfoliation?
Wajiha on May 02, 2017:
Hi... My skin is very sensitive whenever I apply lemon juice on my face. Sometime I suffer from skin redness elergy and sometimes I look dark. Even I have fair complection ... What should I use for my skin.... Also u never use any make up... I hate makeup... Wanna look natural with the natural beauty... Can Anybody help me?
Miranda on December 06, 2016:
You are also use the honey and brown sugar for a lip scrub
ishita on March 26, 2016:
Whao! Thanks a lot actually my sister has a lot of blackheads i m definately going to tell her once again thanx
Emersyn Ruth on June 26, 2015:
I love the natural scrubs bit lately I just haven't had the time to keep a supply on hand. I found some great scrubs from Catskill and Main. I am in love with their coffee face scrubs because, let's face it, who doesn't like the smell of coffee early in the morning and now I get it in the shower! You can find them at www.catskillandmain.com, Hope this helps out some of you busier folks who would love to use it but don't have the time!
Life and Luxury from South Beach, FL on June 02, 2015:
I tried the honey and brown sugar mask. My skin actually felt soft after applying it. I have to say it was of course sticky, but the after-effects were great. Good for you for promoting natural beauty solutions.
Ensorcelie from Albania on June 01, 2015:
I have written myself some natural homemade face masks recipes, recipes which I use for myself. However I always love reading hubs like yours that give away new information. Thanks :) Voted up.
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on May 31, 2015:
Great hub as always with informative tips on how to have a healthy skin at home. Voted up!
nishu on April 18, 2015:
I mean in next two months
nishu on April 18, 2015:
I have very dark underarms please suggest me somehome remedy so that it remove very fastlyy bcz in next 2years I m getting married so plz suggest me
Rishi from Lahore on April 09, 2015:
I have tried Lemon and salt scrub and it really works. That is best natural scrub at least better than market scrubs
DaNeal on April 08, 2015:
How often should I use these?? I want to try all of them out, but I don't know when to use them. And if I'm not supposed to use them everyday, what is something that I could use everyday?? My email is email@example.com. If you could please send the answer there, I would greatly appreciate it.
Emma on April 04, 2015:
Thanks to the lemon,water, and the sea salt my face looks all smooth.
Hamza Arshad from Pakistan on March 07, 2015:
Very useful content !!
Amanda on February 17, 2015:
I made a scrub with olive oil, sea salt, brown sugar, regular sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. (just eye balled to measure until it was a nice consistency) It worked great! All of the tiny white heads on the sides of my nose and chin were almost completely gone! and some black heads I didn't even know I had were pushed to the surface. My face is so smooth and feels moisturized. I will be using this every 2-3 days on my face and body.
April from Fort Myers on February 02, 2015:
Very interesting! I'll have to check these out. :) Thanks for sharing!
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on February 02, 2015:
Great tips. I've had blackheads on my chest for 1.5 years and finally one off with Neutrogena for almost a year. I would keep this hub handy for future reference.
smcopywrite from all over the web on December 28, 2014:
wonderful . I love the natural stuff. Over the counter has not been kind to me and i am still searching for something that doesn't burn and is not too greasy. thanks again
marie on November 25, 2014:
Thanku so much i will try lemon nd salt scrub
Caroline on October 01, 2014:
Many thanks for this information as I have small pores and lots of little blackheads and found Biore warming cleanser the best, but I wanted something natural. So, now I will be raiding my pantry and saving money at the same time. Once again a big thank you.
Zeenath on September 12, 2014:
My sister have lots of blackheads on her nose please give her a tip
Lynn Kuluz on May 18, 2014:
Oh my heavens thank u so much for such important & useful information my son is 18 & had never ever had a blackhead problem until last year it started out with him only having a few a month but now I can tell that the problem is getting worse of course it drove me CRAZY when I saw that the few had started to become many & immediately I freaked out wanting 2 squeeze them.out & simple get rid of them right away well.. He was not going to have anything to do with this I bought any & everything I thought would work but I wanted it to work fast fast fast he is such a handsome young man & seeing these horrible blackheads on his face was almost more than I could bare as a mother now that I have found your information we will begin these steps immediately not wasting one more minute I want these things off his face & the sooner the better thank u with all my heart I have been REALLY distraught over all of this & felt so sorry 4 him because he felt that he was not at all the handsome young man that he has always been I WISH WORDS ALONE COULD EXPRESS MY THANKS GOD BLESS U & THANK U 4 GIVING US HOPE OF GET ALL OF THIS BEHIND HIM THANK YOU, LFSK