How to Create Homemade Wrinkle Treatments
Wrinkles are an unavoidable consequence of the aging process. Our skin gradually begins to lose elasticity and firmness in our 20s and accelerates as we hit our 30s and beyond. Some people are more genetically predisposed to facial wrinkle than others. Years of stress, poor sleep, medications, dryness, smoking, and sun exposure, however, will eventually take their toll on your facial skin.
If you’re a celebrity or the beneficiary of a large trust fund, you might spend thousands on the latest cosmetic procedures to reduce the signs of aging. The rest of us must rely on a multitude of serums, lotions, and creams that claim to turn back the hands of time—for a price.
If you have looked around the cosmetic department at your local discounter or upscale department store, you can understand how facial wrinkle treatments are a multimillion dollar a year business. It’s no wonder, given how much anti-aging products cost!
Luckily, there is a cost-effective and healthy alternative. Women are turning to natural ways to treat facial wrinkles. You can find some of the ingredients are right in your kitchen pantry. Try these simple homemade treatments and keep your wrinkles at bay!
Egg White Mask
This is a treatment my mother and grandmother used years ago. I remember watching them apply it to their faces. As it dried, I would make them laugh and watch the cracks appear!
Egg whites work to temporarily tighten facial and neck skin. Use this as a quick fix before a night on the town. The albumen (protein and water) forms an ultra thin film over the skin, becoming taut as it dries.
How to Make an Egg White Mask
- Separate two eggs and gently stir the whites (save the yolks and use them later).
- Apply the egg whites to your face with a brush or your fingers.
- Let the mask dry for 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- Dry your face and apply your regular moisturizer and makeup.
Your wrinkles won’t disappear, but you may notice a slight, temporary "lift." In addition, you’ll love how amazingly smooth your skin feels!
Cucumber Facial Treatment
Cucumbers are relatively inexpensive and can lessen the appearance of facial wrinkles. They provide moisture and leave your skin feeling cool and firm. Cucumber is a common ingredient in many exclusive skin care lines.
How to Make a Nighttime Cucumber Facial Mask
- Peel and cube a cucumber.
- Place the pieces in a blender or food processor. Set on puree and pulse until the cucumbers resemble a paste.
- Apply to your face and leave on for at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse by splashing your face with cold water and pat dry.
Simple Honey Moisturizer
Honey is natural humectant that can be found in OTC facial moisturizers. Humectants are very important to facial skin and offer a variety of benefits: they attract and increase moisture content, they improve the skin’s elasticity, and they prevent overdrying.
How to Make a Honey Moisturizer
- Warm a small amount of organic honey, either by submerging a glass in hot water or by heating it on low in the microwave for several seconds.
- Smooth the honey over your face and neck.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and finish by gently rubbing your face with an ice cube to tighten pores.
We’ve all heard about the antioxidant properties of green tea, blueberries, and grapes. They fight harmful free radicals and help maintain smooth and youthful skin tone.
How to Make a Blueberry Antioxidant Mask
Mix 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, and 3 teaspoons grapeseed oil.
- Mix the ingredients in a blender for 30 seconds.
- Reserve half of the mixture and refrigerate for another mask.
- Apply liberally to the face and neck area.
- Leave on skin for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Use the remaining mixture the following day. This mask reportedly brightens the skin, improves tone, and reduces the appearance of fine lines.
Almond Oil Treatment
Almond oil not only smells great, it is a natural astringent (toner) and emollient (locks in moisture). This pale yellow oil is well regarded for its ability to soften and condition the skin. It’s safe for all skin types and also relieves breakouts, dryness, and itching.
How to Use Almond Oil as a Facial Treatment
- Pick up some raw organic sweet almond oil from your local health food store.
- Apply a few drops of oil to your face.
- Wet your hands with warm water and gently massage the oil into your skin using an upward motion.
- Remove any excess oil by patting with a towel and leave on overnight.
Anti-Aging Benefits of These Natural Ingredients
Oil reducer, tightens skin, nourishes
Tightens pores, moisturizes, removes toxins
Clears pores, neutralizes free-radicals, natural humectant
Diminishes wrinkles, improves skin elasticity, slows photo-aging
Reduces appearance of fine lines, stimulates collagen production, firms skin
Lessens wrinkles, corrects uneven skin tone, moisturizes
UV protection, reduces inflammation, diminishes dark circles and wrinkles
Natural Wrinkle Treatments Rock!
So you see, there are distinct advantages to using natural homemade wrinkle treatments. You avoid the harmful ingredients found in many beauty products and save money at the same time! I look forward to hearing about your experiences with these facial treatment recipes!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Linda Chechar