How to Make a Skin Clearing Face Mask
The great thing about making your own skin clearing face mask is that you have so many options. There are a variety of natural, inexpensive products you can purchase from the grocery store that work wonders for you skin. I enjoy mixing and matching ingredients to what works personally for me. I also like to know why I'm using a certain ingredient and how it's helping my skin. For this reason, I'm going to start out by listing ingredients for your face mask and why they are good for your skin. Then, I will provide a few skin clearing face mask recipes that I personally like. Feel free to add ingredients to meet your needs, or come up with your own face mask.
Tips to Help You Get Started with Your Home Remedies
- Start by using warm water to open your pores and finish with cool water to close them.
- You usually want to give yourself at least 30 minutes to make the mask and allow it time to work on your skin.
- Some of these masks can get messy, so be prepared with towels and washcloths.
- Relax with cucumber slices on your eyes while using your mask. Cucumber is soothing and has anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps to reduce puffy eyes.
- Always consider including a moisturizing ingredient in your masks. Of course, this might depend on your specific needs. However, hydrated skin is a big key to having beautiful, clear skin. Many anti-acne products dry out your skin. Skin that is too dry can actually cause acne because your skin produces excess sebum when your skin is too dry.
Now let's get started.
Natural Skin Clearing Ingredients
Honey: Honey is naturally antimicrobial, antibacterial and filled with antioxidants. Honey also helps to absorb and retain moisture. It is excellent to help prevent drying. It is also a great cleansing agent because it absorbs impurities from the skin. Because of it's antibacterial properties, it may help keep your skin clear by inhibiting excess bacteria growth. Another awesome property of honey is that it doesn't have any chemicals or preservatives but it still has a shelf life of a year or more! Honey contains a high content of nutrients that your skin will eat up.
Avocado: Avocado is high in vitamins and antioxidants. It's high natural fat content is very hydrating for you skin. It's high vitamin E content boots collagen and promotes new skin growth. Avocado is an excellent ingredient for moisturizing, softening and strengthening your skin.
A Note for Those with Sensitive Skin
If you have sensitive skin, you should be aware that acidic fruits, cinnamon and baking soda may be irritating to the skin if used in excess. I would recommend using these ingredients no more than once a week. You may want to test a small area of skin before you spread the mask over your entire face. I have sensitive skin and haven't had a problem, but everyone is different and your skin may react differently.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon helps to dry acne. It also brings blood and oxygen to the surface of the skin, increasing circulation and promoting the absorption of nutrients. Cinnamon is a natural antiseptic. Don't use too much cinnamon, as it can be irritating to the skin. It is recommended to not use cinnamon masks more than once a week. If your skin does get irritated after a cinnamon mask, sooth it with a cucumber and honey toner.
Baking Soda: Ask any skin care expert and they will tell you that exfoliation is a very important piece to maintaining healthy, beautiful and clear skin. You can use baking soda mixed with a little water to make a natural scrub to slough off dead skin cells and to promote the growth of new ones. In addition, baking soda has alkalizing properties that can help improve the PH balance of your skin. It also helps to soothe irritated skin.
Olive Oil: Olive oil is rich in vitamins and nutrients. It helps to moisturize your skin without clogging pores. Olive oil functions as an antioxidant as well as an anti-inflammatory. It helps to improve your skin's moisture retention, leaving your skin feel soft, smooth and supple.
Lemon: Citrus fruits have natural exfoliation benefits. The acids in citrus juices help to dissolve dead skin cells. Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) helps to reduce wrinkles and sun damage and can be found in lemons as well as oranges, strawberries and grapes. Lemon juice is also a natural antiseptic, which will help clear dirt and bacteria from your skin. This is one of the ingredients that you want to make sure you mix with hydrating and moisturizing ingredients because alone, lemon juice can dry out your skin. You can always reduce the amount of lemon in your masks if you find your skin is too sensitive for it.
Oatmeal: Oatmeal is anti-inflammatory and is great for all skin types. It contains cleansing agents and helps to remove dead skin cells. Oatmeal has been clinically shown to heal dry, itchy skin. You'll want to grind it into a powder to use in your recipes using a blender or food processor. You can also by oat flour from your local health food store.
Eggs: As a mask, egg whites may help tighten and tone your skin. Egg whites are high in protein, vitamins and minerals, especially the vitamin B complexes. Eggs whites will give your skin a healthy glow. They will also tighten your pores and help to remove dead skin cells. The protein in the egg whites will help to soften, nourish and heal your skin.
Yogurt: Yogurt contains natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The lactic acid in yogurt dissolves dead skin and tighten pores. If you use a yogurt with a high fat content, you will have the extra benefit of moisturizing your skin.
Now we're ready to make some skin clearing masks that will leave you skin soft, smooth, clean and glowing.
5 Skin Clearing Face Masks
1. Oatmeal, Honey and Egg White Face Mask
Make an oatmeal, honey and egg white face mask to cleanse, exfoliate and firm your skin.
- Crack an egg and separate the white from the yolk, putting the white in a bowl and discarding the yolk. Lightly beat the egg white until frothy.
- Grind the oatmeal in a blender or food processor until it's a powder. Add about 2 TBSP to your egg whites.
- Add 1 TBSP honey to your mixture and stir until combined.
- Gently massage all over your face and neck.
- Allow to set on your skin for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Finish by gently patting your face with a cool, damp washcloth to close your pores.
- Look in the mirror and admire your glowing complexion.
2. Honey, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice Face Mask
This mask will exfoliate and hydrate your skin. This is a wonderful mask to get the benefits on the lemon juice without drying out your skin.
- Combine 1 TBSP honey, 1 TBSP olive oil and 2 tsp lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Gently massage onto the skin on your face and neck.
- Allow to the mixture to rest on your skin for 15 minutes.
- Wash with warm water and finish by dabbing your face with a cool washcloth.
- Feel the difference in your skin.
You can find witch hazel at any drug store. It is effective and affordable. Use it as a toner a few times a week.
3. Baking Soda and Witch Hazel
Making a baking soda scrub to exfoliate and increase circulation to your skin. Witch hazel is inexpensive and can be used a toner to dissolve excess oil and tighten skin without drying it out. In this recipe, we combine baking soda and witch hazel to create a skin clearing scrub.
- Put a few tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl.
- Slowly stir in the witch hazel until it's the consistency of a loose paste.
- Gently apply the scrub all over your face by massaging the scrub in small circles.
- Rinse thoroughly. Excess baking soda left on the skin might irritate it.
- Use a natural moisturizer such as Aloe Vera to finish and feel how soft your skin is!
4. Citrus and Yogurt Face Mask
The combination of citrus juice and yogurt may help even skin tone, cleanse, disinfect and soften skin. Choose a plain yogurt with a high fat content for extra moisture. I like to do a baking soda scrub after my citrus face mask for extra smooth skin.
- Combine 1/4 cup yogurt, 1 TBSP lemon juice and 1 TBSP orange juice.
- Apply to face and relax for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water. Follow with a baking soda scrub if desired.
- Finish with a cool wash cloth to close pores.
- Look at your beautiful radiant skin. Don't forget to smile!
5. Aspirin and Lemon Juice Face Mask
Aspirin? That's weird, right? It actually makes sense. If we call aspirin by it's scientific name, acetylsalicylic acid, then it might sound familiar. Aspirin contains salicylic acid which is a common ingredient in many anti-acne products. Note: if you have sensitive skin this mask may be drying if used too frequently. If you find this mask dries out your skin, try adding some honey into the mix or do this mask every couple of weeks as opposed to weekly.
- Crush about 12 non-coated aspirin pills into a powder.
- Slowly stir in the lemon juice.Continue to stir until the you get a pasty consistent.
- Apply to your skin and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve some baking soda in warm water. Rinse by dipping a cotton ball in your baking soda water and then use the cotton ball to remove the mask. The baking soda will neutralize the acid from the lemon.
- Watch you skin get clearer and clearer after each use.
Which is your favorite skin clearing face mask?
Ingredients to Lighten Scarring
You may wish to reduce acne scarring and sun damage. Some natural products that may help even your skin tone are:
- Aloe Vera
- Cocoa Butter
- Witch Hazel
- Tee Tree oil
As mentioned earlier, lemon may be drying to the skin, so I wouldn't recommend using it all over your face without combining it with another moisturizing ingredient. I like to use Aloe Vera as my evening moisturizer. My skin always feels soft, nourished and non-greasy.
Now you have an excellent foundation for creating your own skin clearing face mask.You'll notice that I described a few other ingredients that weren't included in the recipes. There are hundreds of homemade face masks I could have written about, but I wanted to give some examples of popular ones or some that I personally use and like. Feel free to mix, match and create your own combinations that work for your skin. For instance, add cinnamon to any mask to add some extra kick. If you need a purely moisturizing and soothing mask, try avocado and honey. The options are endless, it simply depends on what works for your skin. Now go relax and enjoy your face mask!
Beauty Update: An Easy, 3-Step Natural Skin Clearing Treatment
After writing this article, I was inspired and tried out a new skin clearing technique. I was very happy with the results so I thought I would share here.
This skin care treatment has three steps. Step one is an acid peel to help dissolve dead skin cells. The second step is to exfoliate and remove impurities from the skin that were drawn out during the acid peel. And the final step is to moisturize and replenish nourishment to the skin.
- Acid Peel: Quarter a lemon or lime. Rub directly onto skin and let sit for 5-10 minutes. You'll likely feel some tingling and possible some slight stinging. If it gets to become too uncomfortable, rinse immediately and continue with steps 2 and 3, which will help sooth your skin.
- Baking Soda Exfoliation: Moisten your fingers and dab in some baking soda. Gently massage your face with the baking soda to gently exfoliate the skin. In addition to removing dead skin cells, the baking soda will neutralize the acid from the citrus.
- Honey Moisturizer: Raw honey works best. You'll probably use about 1 TBSP honey. Rub directly onto skin and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. The honey will help prevent bacteria growth, hydrate and replenish your skin. The best time to moisturize is after you have exfoliated, so your skin will love this simple honey treatment.
Relax in a honey, Epsom salt and baking soda bath while allowing the honey to work on your skin. You will notice an immediate difference in your skin after this simple 3-Step treatment. Enjoy!
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Homemade Treatments for Radiant Skin
Easy, natural skin-care treatments made right in your own home that will make your skin glow.
- How to Decrease the Visibility of Cellulite
Cellulite is common, especially among women. A variety of treatments to reduce the visibility of cellulite are discussed here.
- Best Essential Oils For Skin Treatments
Learn how to heal, regenerate, oxygenate and pamper your skin with essential oils, natural therapeutic substances that contain the life-force of beneficial plants. Having a personal spa at home is not that far-fetched after all.