Amber is a web writer whose articles focus on beauty, skincare, health, and wellness!
About Ipsy Refreshments
Ipsy is known for delivering high-quality, brand-name make-up and beauty products to your doorstep. Their subscription boxes and the benefits of being an Ipsy subscriber remain unrivaled. This same company also has its own line of personal care products called Refreshments.
Ipsy Refreshments are personal care products, such as shaving cream, lotion, and body wash, that are delivered with the same convenience that subscribers get from their Ipsy box.
They are advertised to be environmentally friendly. The back of the bottles confirms that all of the bottles used are recyclable. Not only can you recycle them after you’re done, but they are also partially made of recycled plastic. This varies depending on the product. For example, the back of the deodorant states that it is comprised of 40% recycled materials while the lotion packaging claims it is only made of 30% recycled materials.
All products are vegan and cruelty-free. They pride themselves on not testing their products on animals. Every product is also carefully designed to be great for sensitive skin. Even the deodorant is wonderful if you have sensitive skin!
How Does the Subscription Work?
In order to subscribe, you need to be an Ipsy subscriber. You can subscribe to the Glam bag for $10 a month or the Glam Bag Plus for $25 a month. This is necessary because your Refreshments products will be delivered with the rest of your Ipsy products.
One of the things that I love about the brand's product line is that you control the products that you get monthly. You can update your subscription preferences by the end of the month to either stop receiving a certain product or receive one that you don’t usually get. For example, I updated my subscription to get one of everything so that I could try all of the products offered. Then, I updated it again to make sure that I only receive the ones that I’m going to keep using.
Ipsy Refreshments Products
Ipsy has a nice line-up of products to meet your basic personal care needs. There are cleansing face wipes, razors, and more. Every product features the same soothing design, and they come in nice, pastel colors so they will all coordinate perfectly sitting on a shelf in your bathroom.
Cleansing Face Wipes ($8)
These come in a package with a flip-top just like other cleansing wipes do. You get a total of 30 wipes per package. There are quite a few great things about these wipes and a few areas that were a huge disappointment.
- They smell nice
- The convenient flip top package
- Very gentle on the skin (so gentle that I used them with confidence on a baby when I ran out of baby wipes.)
- They aren’t the best at removing make-up. All they did was smear my waterproof eyeliner. I had to scrub to get them to remove the rest of it, which left my skin red and irritated. They did almost nothing when I tested them on lip paint on my arm to see how they would do.
These are great for cleansing, especially if you have dry skin. However, you’re going to need another product to remove make-up. Refreshments cleansing wipes will take off a basic layer of eyeshadow, but they are nothing up against makeup that is designed to stay in play for 16 hours.
Luscious Hand Cream ($7)
This luscious hand cream is made in the United States and is available in a citrus scent. The scent isn’t so strong that the entire room will smell your hand cream, but it’s strong enough that your hands, and anywhere else you apply the lotion, will smell delicious.
- Small bottle that is the ideal size for your handbag
- A thick formula that is perfect for dry skin (it’s the same consistency as Bath and Body Works body cream)
- Does not leave a greasy residue
Read More From Bellatory
- The small bottle does not last long. A little bit of this lotion does not go a long way.
- Only available in a citrus scent
For the price, you could get a much larger bottle of lotion elsewhere. However, this lotion does keep your hands moisturized longer than cheap bottles of lotion you’ll find in local department stores. For hand cream, it’s great to have, especially during the winter months. Don’t depend on it for more than that, though. The small bottle is not going to last as a body cream.
Luxe 5-Blade Razor Kit (Free) and Razor Cartridge Refills ($5 Per Pack of Two)
When you first subscribe, you get a starter kit. The razor kit is included in this at no cost to you. In each razor kit, there is the razor handle, a razor holder that is designed to suction to the shower, and two razor cartridge refills. After this initial delivery, you can subscribe to receive razor refills monthly.
- The moisturizing strip leaves your legs silky smooth
- A very close shave thanks to the five blades
- It’s really convenient to always have razor refills. Those are the one thing I always seem to run out of.
- The razor holder won’t stick to my shower
- The moisturizing strip on each razor works a little too well. Every time I use a new one, I get a thin, greasy film on my leg that I have to wash off. This only happens on the first shave, though.
These are more than worth it. The razor comes at no cost to you, so you can always try it to see if you like it. The cartridges are more affordable than most razors on the market today, and they provide a closer shave.
Before using this razor, I swore by men’s razors. Women’s razors just don’t seem to shave as well. If they do, I have to shave again the next day. This razor gives me the same close shave that I want, is great for my dry skin, and I love the colors.
Pearly Body Wash ($11)
The body wash comes in a large, 10 oz. bottle. Olive oil and shea butter are just a couple of the star ingredients you’ll discover, which means that it is moisturizing. There are quite a few great things about this body wash.
- It is moisturizing. Your skin will feel nice and soft after using this body wash.
- A little goes a long way. I could see this bottle lasting an entire month.
- Nice lather
- If you have really dry skin like I do, it doesn’t moisturize it enough. I still have to use lotion after using this body wash.
- Only available in citrus
Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it. I can get the same thing in a scent that I love from any other store. It is moisturizing, but so are a lot of other products on the market, and they’re more moisturizing than this one. I just don’t see myself spending $11 on a body wash in a scent that I’m not a fan of if the product itself doesn’t blow me away, and this one did not.
Pillowy Shave Cream ($8)
This moisturizing shave cream comes in a lotion bottle, which is extremely convenient. It’s impossible to accidentally squirt out too much shaving cream. The bottle is the same size as most hand creams at 4.5 ounces. You’ll notice that the same extra moisturizing theme you’re seeing in all of the refreshments products is found in the Pillowy Shave Cream as well.
- When using the Pillow Shave Cream with the brand's razor, your legs are going to feel like satin.
- The type of bottle that it comes in is a major pro
- Doesn’t have a strong scent
- It’s a small bottle. If I were to use this every time I shaved, it would not last an entire month.
- For something that doesn’t last that long, the price is a little high
- Not a good lather
I hate the price on this one, but the results are so amazing that I think it’s worth it. I’m not going to order three bottles a month year-round, but I am definitely going to use this throughout the summer.
Velvety Body Cream ($12)
This large bottle of body lotion comes in a citrus scent. It features the same soothing design and offers the same awesome moisturizing properties. The grape seed oil provides rich antioxidants while shea butter helps combat dry skin for a smooth, non-greasy feel. According to advertisements, this lotion is supposed to hydrate your skin for 24 hours after application.
- Not greasy
- Has olive oil
- Decent price for the size
- A little goes a long way
- Whether or not it moisturizes your skin for a full day depends on the type of skin you have. If you have really dry skin, it’s not going to last the entire day. My skin was itchy again after a few hours.
- Limited scents available
Personally, I don’t see myself spending $12 on this lotion because it doesn’t meet my needs. However, if you love environmentally friendly skin products and don’t need a thick body cream for your dry skin, this could be an awesome product for you.
This deodorant is free of aluminum, baking soda, parabens, phthalates, and sulfates. You’ll notice the same pastel colors used as with the rest of the brand's packaging. It comes in a standard 2 oz. size that most other deodorants do.
- It lasts all day
- Available in 3 scents and an unscented version
- Glides on clear
- Doesn’t clump throughout the day
- A pleasant scent that isn’t too strong
- Anti-bacterial properties
- This is a deodorant, not an antiperspirant
- According to the website, it can take a few weeks for your body to eliminate the aluminum build-up if you have been using products that contain aluminum, which can result in some serious BO. I have yet to experience this, but it’s only been a few days since I started using the product.
Although I’m not a huge fan of the price (you can buy six Suave deodorants for this price), I think this product is worth it. It goes on clear and genuinely lasts all day. There are no deodorant stains on my clothing, either.
The main thing that I do not like is that this product isn’t an antiperspirant. That means that it’s not going to prevent sweating. Some people have tried this and decided that it’s not for them because it doesn’t keep you dry. Whether or not that will matter depends on how heavily you sweat. Just in case this becomes a problem during hotter times of the year, I’m going to keep some of my other deodorants for those days.
I think the convenience that this offers is great. It’s awesome that I can pick what I get so I don’t wind up with a ton of products that I don’t use. The fact that these products are recyclable, vegan, cruelty-free and most of them are made in the United States definitely adds to the appeal.
On the downside, I’m not a huge fan of the citrus scent that every product comes in. I also don’t like that you have to be an Ipsy subscriber in order to enjoy the Refreshments line. I have so much makeup I was going to put my box on hold, so I’m going to have to order enough of my refreshments products to get me through that period. It would be much better if the two were separate.
I’m still going to order some deodorant, cartridge refills, and shave cream on occasion. The rest of the products either don’t fit my needs or I have another product that I prefer. However, when you’re deciding if Ipsy Refreshments is for you, it’s important that you consider your own needs and do what’s best for you! I don’t care for the citrus scent, but if you love citrus you’re going to be in heaven!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2021 Amber Lynn