Pomegranate, Lemon, and Green Tea Facial Peel
Homemade Facial Peel
If you have considered getting a chemical peel, microdermabrasion, or dermabrasion treatment, why not consider making your own highly effective facial peel?
These three powerhouse ingredients work together like magic on the skin revealing fresh, rejuvenated healthy skin. Apart from the cost, the dangers that exist with chemical peels are greatly reduced as there are no hidden ingredients in this recipe. Pomegranate is an ingredient highly revered for its benefits. After showing many benefits to the skin, an increasing number of beauty industry manufacturers are now including pomegranate in their products.
The Power of a Peel
Lemon and green tea have natural exfoliating properties with high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients making them ideal companions to pomegranate in this facial peel.
This peel is made using fresh fruit acids and antioxidant-rich green tea without the use of toxic chemicals. Peels are designed to remove damaged skin and the type of chemicals used will determine how deep they work within the different layers of the skin. This facial peel is a perfect solution for tired, dull skin in need of a lift and is ideal for dry skin and wrinkles. Another bonus is you will have a cup of healthy tea with this recipe at the same time, doubling up the benefits.
Facial Peel Recipe
- 1 fresh pomegranate
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 cup strong green tea
- small bowl
- Boil your kettle and make up the strong green tea. Leave it to brew.
- Pick out approximately 50 seeds from the pomegranate and mash them through the sieve with the back of a spoon into the bowl. You need approximately 5 teaspoons of juice.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to the pomegranate.
- Strain the tea and add 2-3 teaspoons to the bowl and mix the ingredients well.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
How to Use
- Thoroughly cleanse face and neck removing all traces of makeup.
- Secure hair off your face with a hairband, pins or shower cap if necessary.
- Add a teaspoon or two into the palm of your hand and start to apply from the neck upwards.
- Massage into the skin gently using small circular movements. You may need to repeat this to cover the face (avoiding the delicate eye area).
- Leave for 10 minutes.
- While this peel is working its magic, utilize the remaining juice by straining into a cup for a refreshing, detoxifying cup of tea.
- Fill a bowl or your wash hand basin with fairly warm water and soak your facecloth.
- When ready to remove your fruit peel, squeeze out the facecloth enough to leave it moist and start to wipe off the mixture gently.
- Finish with a rinse in tepid water and a final splash of cold water.
- Pat the skin dry and apply your regular moisturizer.
- Enjoy your freshly revealed new skin.
- Avoid spending extended periods of time in direct sunshine after applying this treatment. Lemon is sun sensitive and skin may become irritated in the sunshine. Apply this facial peel in the evening or wait 6-12 hours.
- Applying your regular moisturizer or sunscreenafterwards is important to keep the skin soft, supple and protected.
- If you have no pomegranate fruit use organic pomegranate juice instead.
- Apply this peel once a week or once every two weeks depending on your skin type.
Pomegranate Skin Benefits
The pomegranate is one of the oldest known fruits documented in writings and artifacts of many different cultures and some say it was this fruit and not the apple that first appeared in the Garden of Eden.
This nutrient loaded and antioxidant rich fruit is known by different cultures as a symbol of fertility, health, and eternal life. Originating in Persia it is now extensively grown throughout the world for its seeds and juice.
Pomegranates are loaded with antioxidants which fight off the “free radicals” which are responsible for destroying skin cells.
Antioxidants prevent these harmful radicals or molecules from growing thus having a direct consequence on the skin’s health and have a direct effect on protecting the skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
Maintaining the collagen in the skin is another major benefit of pomegranate fruit. Collagen is what gives our skin its elasticity which helps prevent or smooth wrinkles. When the collagen is depleted our skin appears more aged, more lined and less taught.
What is your favorite skin care item or treatment for for the face?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.