Product Review: Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion with Soothing Oat and Rich Emollients is a popular body lotion by Aveeno that contains an oatmeal formula meant to help protect and heal dry skin. It has been clinically tested and was found to be effective.
The lotion advertising makes the following claims:
- Moisturizes dry skin for a full 24 hours
- Absorbs quickly
- Improves skin's health in just one day
- Helps prevent, protect, and nourish dry skin
- Non-comedogenic (doesn't cause blackheads)
- Gentle enough for daily use
Does Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion Work?
I have been struggling with dry skin for most of my life, and Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion has been a tremendous help to me for years. Originally I used it to heal cracked and bleeding skin on my knuckles from washing my hands too much during the winter. After the area healed, I continued using it as a preventative measure after each hand wash, and I have not had any occurrences of cracked skin on my hands since.
Later, I developed cracked heels from wearing rain-soaked socks, and I tried using the lotion on that as well. Though it took much longer to heal because my feet tend to sweat, I did have success with using the lotion twice a day every day. More recently, I have used the lotion for dry skin on my face and back. It works great for my face and only requires one application per day. It works okay on my back, helping to ease the prickly itchiness of the dry skin, although it does leave the area a bit sticky.
Evaluating The Claims
This is my experience with regard to the above claims:
- While it can provide long-lasting moisturization on certain parts of the body, such as the face, areas that experience frequent washings or sweating such as hands and feet will require reapplication of the moisturizer.
- The lotion does absorb quickly.
- I have not experienced improved skin health within one day, but daily use does help to heal dry or cracked skin.
- Consistent use of the lotion can prevent dry and cracked skin. However, you will need to use it multiple times a day for areas that frequently dry out.
- There is a slight earthy fragrance when the lotion is first applied, but it quickly dissipates as the lotion is absorbed.
- The lotion is not greasy once it has been absorbed by the skin. However, it is greasy if you expose the area to water before it has been absorbed. It can also be a little sticky when in contact with sweat.
- I haven't noticed any increase in acne after use.
- I have had no problems using it many times a day.
Overall, my experiences with the lotion back up the claims with a few caveats.
- The lotion is a great preventative measure against dry and cracked skin with consistent usage.
- It can heal damaged and dry skin over time.
- It does not have a strong fragrance.
- It is not overly greasy.
- It does take quite a while to heal cracked skin, especially if the area is frequently in contact with water or sweat.
- The lotion does not moisturize for 24 hours in most cases. It will require regular reapplication.
- The lotion pump dispenser leaves quite a bit in the bottom of the container (about an inch of lotion).
I would definitely recommend . It has worked wonders for me over the years to heal and prevent dry skin on many parts of my body. The only downsides of this lotion are that it does not actually moisturize for 24 hours most of the time and can take quite a while to heal cracked skin. I also wish the pump dispenser bottles had a better design for getting all the lotion in the bottom, but you can always unscrew the top and scoop out the leftovers. Alternatively, you can get it in a tube, but I find the pump dispenser to be more convenient. Overall, it's a quality lotion, definitely worth a try. As you can see from the picture, I use it all the time. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.