The Best Homemade Body Lotion
Ultra Moisturizing Homemade Lotion
I love trying homemade skin care recipes, and this is my most recent find. Since our skin is porous, what we put on it gets absorbed into our bloodstream. I think what goes on our bodies is just as important as what we put into them. Here is my homemade lotion recipe for you, so let's get right to it.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp beeswax, grated
- up to 6 drops essential oil, optional
- Heat the oil in a double boiler using a glass bowl. (Do not add the essential oil at this time.)
- Add the grated beeswax to the oil and mix until completely melted.
- Carefully remove the glass bowl from the double boiler, and let cool for about five minutes.
- Pour the water into a blender and turn it on.
- While it's whirling, slowly pour the melted oil and beeswax through the opening in the blender lid. It will immediately begin to emulsify.
- Blend for about 30 seconds, and then add the essential oil if using. You may have to stop and stir or loosen your lotion a couple of times, but that's normal, and it mostly depends on the strength of your blender.
I like to change up the recipe ingredients from time to time. I replaced 1/3 of the water with rose water. You can also use:
- orange flower water,
- peppermint tea,
- chamomile tea,
- or hibiscus tea, which will give the lotion a delicate pink color.
Instead of extra virgin olive oil, I used a mixture of organic coconut oil and organic avocado oil, and I added about six drops of tangerine essential oil.
Uses and Storage
This lotion is wonderfully creamy and smells lovely. I use it every day. I even use it on my face as a moisturizing mask. It's also a great makeup remover!
If there's a honey vendor at your local farmer's market, they probably sell beeswax. That's where I like to purchase mine.
This lotion is a whole food product and should last about three months at room temperature. I don't expect ours to last that long. But if you make it and aren't going to use it right away, be sure to refrigerate it.
Cleaning up can be a bit tricky, because this lotion is thick and very emollient. Boiling water works best to clean your blender, measuring cup(s), grater, etc. Just be uber careful not to burn yourself when cleaning with boiling water!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.