Maria is a full-time blogger who enjoys researching about ways to get healthy skin to help those with skin issues find effective solutions.
Using the best skin care for teens will help you achieve a beautiful complexion and will be invaluable as a way to delay aging skin as you grow older.
Teenagers are the most sensitive to skin issues because of their adolescence, hormonal changes, and modern habits of living and eating. Many of their greatest skin problems are related to acne, such as blackheads, whiteheads, and cysts.
Relief is at hand, however, in the form of many types of skin care and facial treatments, both herbal and otherwise—not to speak of the home cures to address each one of their problems.
It is never too late to get started, and the earlier the better. However, much care must be applied when selecting skin care products to ensure that they do not leave any harmful side effects. This article will provide some helpful information and tips about what causes acne and what you can do about it.
8 Basic Skin Care Tips for Teens
- Don't forget to cleanse your skin morning and night with a cleanser aimed to your skin type.
- Use a toner after cleansing. Toners have many properties and will hydrate, refresh, and balance the skin, helping to close pores and prevent acne.
- Choose light moisturizers that won't clog the pores and are specific to teens. Moisturizers with a non-oily base are far better than those with caustic properties, and they will keep your skin safe and moist.
- Use solar protection to prevent sun spots and wrinkles.
- Avoid chemical-based products that are likely to affect the sensitive skin. Go for products of organic or herbal origins that do not aggravate your skin further in any way. Acne-related skin problems are easily provoked by such chemical applications.
- Skin care products are clearly demarcated for use by adults and teens. Always ensure that you select those products that are meant for teens, as they will be more compatible with your young skin.
- Skin creams and moisturizers having an herbal content along with other energetic elements are proven to be highly effective in teen skin care. Extracts of lavender, chamomile, avocado, and aloe are known to have very soothing effects on sensitive skin.
- Make use of a facial sauna once a week to deeply cleanse the skin and obtain a glowing complexion.
Why Do Teens Get Acne?
Even though acne is a teen and adult problem, it seems to appear most in teenagers. Why is that so?
Clogged pores caused by the overproduction of oil in our skin is what cause outbreaks known as acne. It consists of pimples, blackheads, white heads, and cysts. Is primarily found on the face, neck, chest, back, and arms, and teenagers are the most prone because of all the different hormone changes.
Acne can be a social mood changer that makes a person not even want to be out in social gatherings. If you suffer from this skin disorder, it will be a good idea to set up an appointment and meet with a dermatologist. The dermatologist will give you their expert opinion and come up with the most effective solutions to prevent it.
What Can You Do About Your Acne?
- There is not one method that works for everyone to get rid and prevent acne. Just like medications work differently on people, so does teenagers' acne treatments. If you have tried over-the-counter treatments and they didn't work, then your doctor will do a skin assessment to see which method will most likely work best.
- In many cases, it will take a few trial-and-errors to figure out which acne cure is really working. Your dermatologist will probably start with some acne medication as well to aid you in your acne prevention. Some of the most common types of medication they will give you are newer topical products, such as those containing vitamin A, benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, or azelaic acid.
- Oral contraceptives could be recommended, and sometimes it will be a combination of treatments. Oral isotretinoin is for more serious type cases.
- One thing you can do to help with acne in teens is keep yourself healthy. When your skin is well hydrated by drinking ample amounts of water, it looks and feels more refreshed.
- Water is a natural skin cleanser, as it removes impurities out of the body like bacteria. Having a healthy eating lifestyle and exercising can also keep your blood pumping and gives the skin that rich and smooth tone.
- Another thing you can do to keep your skin healthy is to make simple changes to your lifestyle, such as having a balanced diet with plenty of antioxidants like green tea and using good skin care products to protect the it from environmental factors.
11 Beauty Tips for Teenagers
- Using a good foam cleanser to clean your face is a good way to keep your skin free from bacteria, exfoliated, and healthy. Restrict your face washes to twice per day, and avoid scrubbing hard to prevent further irritation of the skin, by way of additional oil secreted by the skin. Facial cleansing brushes do a very good job and leave the skin ready to apply your favorite skin care products.
- Never touch your face without washing your hands, for risk of transferring the excess oil or bacteria in your fingers, to the detriment of your face.
- In case of extra oil on the face, sometimes it may be better to either blot out the oil using a blotter or two, or use facial tissues to avoid the process of excessive face washing, which may lead to more problems.
- One of the best things you can do for your skin is to never mess with your pimples, or you will risk them spreading, and all your efforts at control will go to waste.
- Reduce the use of cosmetics. If you must use them, buy "non-comedogenic" products, which won't clog the pores.
- Make it a point never to leave your makeup on while you go to bed. Ensure that you rinse your face clean beforehand, in order to enable your skin to breathe freely at night.
- Long hair falling on your face can transfer sebum to your skin, further aggravating it. Tying up long hair at the back of your head will substantially reduce this risk.
- Exfoliate the skin once a week with a very mild scrub. You can use natural ingredients from your kitchen. Make a natural scrub with two spoons of natural yogurt and one teaspoon of sugar. Gently rub the skin in circular motions for a few seconds and wash it off with warm water, followed by a splash of cold water.
- Facial masks are great to feed the skin, and you can make use of them once a week. If your skin is dry, use hydrating masks such as cucumber and bananas. If your skin is oily, make a facial mask with egg white, a few drops of lemon, and a spoon of oats. Apply for 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water. If you presently have acne or pimples, rub half a tomato throughout your face and leave it on 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Another one is to mix honey with lemon and apply on the face for 20 minutes. Wash with mineral water.
- Use a non-comedogenic sunscreen everyday with an SPF (sun protection factor) of at least 15 to protect the skin.
- Depending on what kind of acne you are suffering from, there are some skin treatments that can help, such as skin lasers, microdermabrasion, mild exfoliation, skin peels, retinol, and high frequency.
A Final Word About Teenagers With Acne
Whether you follow a skin care regimen designed by a dermatologist (recommended) or an acne product bought by yourself, always make sure that you follow the guidelines.
Don't despair or be impatient. Acne is not a skin condition that you can get rid of easily—you need to persevere to see results.
There are many myths out there about acne in teenagers, and the best thing you can do is to be well informed about this skin condition, so you can make informed decisions.
- Making adolescence easier: Doctors have answers for acne (Stanford Medicine)
- Checkup on health (UC Davis Health)
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2015 lovethisstuff
Share Your Best Skin Care & Beauty Tips for Teens
Mia jackson on May 20, 2017:
I have acne for a quite awhile how can I help my acne clear up