White Pimple on Eyelid: Treatments and Causes
Is A White Bump On Eyelid Actually Acne?
A white bump on your eyelid is likely caused by an infection of the oil glands. It happens when a hair follicle at the base of your eyelash is infected. The bump can be spontaneous, and appear once in a while, or it can be repetitive and constantly appear because of inflammations or skin damage. So, how do you get rid of them, once and for all?
What's Causing It
1. Poor hygiene—If you are in the habit of always rubbing your eyes with possibly dirty hands instead of wiping with a clean handkerchief, you are surely exposing your eyes to bacterial infection.
2. Certain health conditions—People with diabetes or those living under constant stress are much more likely to get bumps on eyelid. As stress is known to increase one’s blood lipid level which results in blockage of oil glands.
How to Get Rid of It
Luckily, many of the common causes of those white bumps are easy to take care of with a few lifestyle changes.
- Don't rub your eyes with unclean hands, use clean handkerchief instead. If you need to touch your eyes (e.g. to wear contact lenses), wash your hands first.
- Don't share your cosmetic products and don't use them past their expiration date.
- Don't use any cosmetic products on an infected eyelid.
- Clean your eyelids with a baby shampoo or a gentle soap.
- Use pre-moistened eyelid cleaning pads everyday to curb the risk of bumps appearance.
Professional Treatments That Might Help
What Is It?
How Is It Done?
Popping bumps using sterile needle
Cosmetologist will cleanse, disinfect skin and pop whitehead using sterile needle removing its contents
Burning bumps with electricity
The affected area is treated by variable high-frequency electric current. A crust that forms on the skin after application goes away very quickly and leaves no scars.
Burning bumps with laser
The affected area is treated by laser. As with electrocoagulation, a crust will go away in a couple of days.
Need more information on what's going on with your eyelid? See below.
We all know how to fight pimples that attack us from time to time, but what about that unusual little white bumps on eyelid? Those little dense whiteheads can appear under the skin on eyelids, cheeks and under-eye area. Such bumps appear because of too much active sebaceous glands.
There are several causes attributed to the outbreak of pimples on the eyelid. The first is poor hygiene.
One of the most common bacteria found on the skin are Staphylococcus aureus which causes up to 90% of eye infections. If a hair follicle at the base of your eyelash is infected, it could lead to the eruption of pimple on the eyelid. There are several symptoms and signs associated with pimples on the eyelid. The first is redness around the eyes. The next symptom is tenderness and pain in the affected eye area. The eye will also feel scratchy at the initial stage of the pimple outbreak. Later on, you will experience symptoms like steady swelling of the eyes, inability to blink comfortably, watery eyes and overreaction to stream of light, especially bright light.
It is necessary to know that people with certain health conditions, for example diabetes, tend to experience the outbreak of pimples more than people who are not suffering from any form of health condition. Another group of people who are prone to pimple on eyelid are those living under constant stress.
Treatments of Pimple on Eyelid
Whatever you do, don't ever pop your bumps yourself! This can be done only by qualified professional.
Whiteheads on eyelid appear one by one or in groups. The inflammation is very rare, as such pimple is basically a clogged pore which accumulated sebum. Sebum tries to get out, but can't. There is no contact with the skin, and pimple is not subjected to the infection thus remaining white. So pimple on eyelid is more aesthetic problem. Nevertheless, don't delay your visit to cosmetologist It's almost impossible to remove pimple on eyelid by yourself and it won't go away by itself.
There are several treatments for pimples on eyelid:
- Mechanical method - certified specialist will cleanse, disinfect skin and remove whiteheads. Cosmetologist will pop whitehead using sterile needle and remove its contents (remember, this can be done only by certified professional!).
- Electrocoagulation. This process is based on burning of the affected area by variable high-frequency electric current. A crust that forms on the skin after application goes away very quickly and leaves no scars.
- Laser coagulation. This is one of the priority ways of whitehead treatments. It's done using laser, not electricity like in electrocoagulation. The principle is the same. After laser coagulation there is also a crust that will go away in a couple of days.
Just as mentioned earlier, complications could arise from the outbreak of a pimple on the eyelid if you continually rub, scratch or try to squeeze out the forming white matter from the pimple. If you do any of these, there is a big possibility of the infection spreading to other follicles of the eyelash which could cause multiple pimples on the eyelid. In severe cases, the infection could even spread to your eyelid and result in blepharitis. It could also lead to orbital cellulites, an infection of the tissues of the eye area. In a situation where improper lancing of the growth is carried out, it could result in deformation of the eyelashes and also disrupt the growth of eyelashes to a large extent.
More by this Author
What does it mean when a pimple constantly appears on a certain part of your face or body? Most probably it's a sign that something is wrong with your health. Read on to know what pimples mean and how to fight them.
What pimples on buttocks mean, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them.
No comments yet.