Is Exfoliating Good or Bad for Acne-Prone Skin?
A regular skin exfoliating exercise is one of the best ways to address the issue of acne. Skin care for acne-prone skin is never really complete without this process, as it definitely plays an extremely important role in the care of blemished skin.
Without a daily routine of facial exfoliation, acne, and even the debilitating effects of scarring that forms as a result of rosacea may occur. So, for those who desire healthy facial skin or those looking for an acne-free face, exfoliation is highly recommended.
Exfoliation Is Highly Recommended for Acne-Prone Skin
It is a well-known fact that microscopic loose facial skin—which in essence is old skin—if left unattended will trap toxins, dirt, and oils. These unhealthy 'deposits' will 'seep' back under the skin, clog up the pores, and cause blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. This is the main reason why many people that don't use an exfoliating face wash as a part of their skin-care routine will constantly have breakouts and recurring facial skin problems.
To avoid these recurring issues that may damage your self-esteem, the old top-skin layer must be gently removed through exfoliation to reveal fresh, healthy skin.
Many people with acne either don't believe or fail to realize that exfoliation is one of the secrets of clear and radiant skin. It is essential, and this form of skin care must be done regularly and unfailingly. It is the answer to many questions you may have concerning acne spots, pimples, and other skin blemishes.
Healthy Skin Through Exfoliation
Many of the elite spa and salon owners around the world involved in body treatments are always on top of the very latest developments in skin-care therapies, remedies, and treatments. What they tell us ceaselessly is that there needs to be awareness about the benefits of having healthy skin through exfoliation.
Exfoliation generally involves a soft 'scouring' of the skin using facial scrub sponges or exfoliating face-wash products that have tiny but soft abrasive grains.
These also include grainy but creamy facial cleansers and homemade remedies such as salt, oatmeal, and even coarse sugar granules.
Besides the homemade recipes for skin exfoliation, the aforementioned products are all designed to gently scour off and eliminate dead and decaying skin cells that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
Exfoliating Products for the Face and Body
Exfoliating body scrub: When exfoliating the body, usually the chest, upper arms, and back, a 'loofah', an environmentally friendly sponge that grows naturally, or exfoliating gloves, do a great job of sloughing off dead skin. They must be used to scrub the body using regular circular motions.
Body scrub is highly beneficial in that it serves a dual purpose—it's great for exfoliation, and it's good as a blood circulation enhancer.
Face exfoliation: For facial skin, an exfoliating soap, face wash, or cleanser appropriate for specific types of skin (oily, dry, or combination) must be used. The face must be slightly dampened before the use of any exfoliating product. Again, use gentle circular motions while scrubbing the face, making sure to avoid the delicate areas around the eyes.
Using homemade recipes: There are exfoliation products all around us at home. Homemade exfoliating agents, such as mashed papaya (paw paw), contain enzymes that effectively exfoliate the skin.
Note: The body must be wet before application or use to avoid unnecessary dryness of the face or skin, which can abrade the skin and cause soreness.
Scrubbing must always be gentle on the damp or wet skin. Use circular motions to remove the dead skin and vertical motions to wipe the body clean of the exfoliating particles (if you'll be using a cream-based exfoliation product). With washes, just wash the product off using circular motions, and rinse thoroughly.
How Often Should You Exfoliate?
Opinions differ slightly on how often one should exfoliate the face and body. But the most important thing to note is that exfoliation is necessary for healthy-looking faces, arms, and torsos.
Most of today's women's fashion demands some exposure of the chest, upper arms, and back, and there is no point in wishing you could wear such outfits if those parts of your body are spotty and unsightly.
Our faces are constantly exposed, and faces must look clean, spotless, and healthy. Applying makeup to acne-prone skin can be tricky and oily products should be avoided. Blotting papers can help minimize shine during the day while you work on your exfoliating routine at home before bed. When our faces look good and clear with or without makeup, we feel good. It's as simple as that.
Exfoliate at least every other day. It's even better if you do it daily, using a gentler exfoliating face wash, especially for those who have acne. This is one of the best ways to treat acne inexpensively and effectively.
If you have acne, it's good to be consistent with this process. In the morning, rinse your face, and then exfoliate gently. It's easy to get carried away with the scrubbing motions, but try not to.
Ensure you do it evenly, with a bit more emphasis on areas that have pimples, blackheads, or other blemishes.
10 Benefits of Exfoliating
- Clogged pores, which make skin look dull by trapping oil and dirt, are cleared up with consistent exfoliation.
- Exfoliating elements used for acne skin care are mostly chemical-free.
- Re-energises dull and lifeless skin.
- Great as an anti-aging facial treatment, as it keeps the skin supple and healthy-looking and sloughs off flaky dead skin. Exfoliating massages the face at the same time, enabling good blood flow.
- Flakes off the undesirable dead outer layer of skin, which promotes the growth of new and clearer skin. This will speed up the process of obtaining clear and flawless skin.
- Exfoliating soap works in two ways. It allows you to both cleanse and exfoliate your skin at the same time.
- It will help sun-damaged and discoloured skin and give it a more uniform and even tone, resulting in a brighter, more youthful appearance.
- For those over forty, it should become a regimen because it does effectively reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Exfoliation is very effective at stopping the growth of ingrown hairs, especially for men.
- Acne scars, if not completely removed, will definitely become less noticeable.
The face and upper body parts aren't the only areas of the body that require exfoliation. You should also exfoliate rough areas of the body, like the feet, knees, and elbows. And as we grow older, we must exfoliate more because as we age, our body’s natural exfoliation process slows down considerably. So, in order to give the skin a boost, and bring it 'back to life', exfoliate.
Who Should Exfoliate?
Exfoliation should be an equally essential skin-care routine for:
- Teenage skin care: It is great for teenage pimples, spots, and general acne skin care. It also removes pore-clogging dirt and oil, and will definitely prevent acne and give you healthier-looking skin.
- Men: Exfoliation exposes hair follicles, thus allowing a better and smoother shave.
- Women: The process of cell turnover starts to slow down as we age, creating skin irregularities. When skin cells start to build up unevenly on the skin's surface, it gives a dry, rough, and dull appearance. For this, exfoliation is beneficial because it removes built-up dead cells, exposing fresher, smoother, and younger skin cells hitherto hidden.
On a final note, it is possible and easy to over-exfoliate. Over-exfoliation will dry out and even irritate the skin. As the face is a sensitive part of the body, exfoliation must only be carried out when the skin is moist.
After you exfoliate, your skin must be moisturized immediately with some good natural moisturizer that contains some amount of alpha and/or beta hydroxyl fruit acids.
HOW OFTEN DO YOU EXFOLIATE?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
Can I apply face masks every day?
No. I will suggest just twice a week.Helpful 3
© 2010 viryabo