DIY: Homemade Yogurt Face Mask Recipes for Beautiful Skin
What Makes Yogurt Beneficial for Skin?
Plain yogurt is a multi-vitamin super-food used in many homemade face mask recipes for beautiful youthful skin. What makes yogurt so special? Yogurt is loaded with vitamins and minerals that nourish and revitalize dehydrated skin. If you have acne-prone skin, use yogurt face masks to banish those pesky pimples. Yogurt is a great ingredient for getting rid acne naturally, as it contains anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties, as well as alpha hydroxyl acids, which kill acne-causing bacteria.
Here’s a simple list of the nutrients found in yogurt and how they are useful for skin:
Benefit for Skin
Aids in cell growth and regeneration. Hydrates and moisturizes skin as well as protects it from free radical damage.
Heals rough, uneven skin. Has skin-lightening properties useful for evening out skin discolorations and acne scars.
Brightens dull skin and lightens dark spots and acne scars, making them less visible.
Composes the uppermost layer of skin. Heals dry skin.
Moisturizes, hydrates, and nourishes dry skin. Keeps skin looking youthful by combating free radicals that age skin.
Slows down aging by fighting the free radicals that cause wrinkles by stealing oxygen from healthy skin cells.
1. Youthful Glow Acne-Fighting Yogurt Face Mask
Rejuvenate your skin by nourishing and exfoliating it with yogurt, honey, and oatmeal to get that gorgeous, youthful glow. Honey has potent moisturizing and hydrating properties that promote smooth, supple skin. Oatmeal is an absorbent that sucks out all the bad oil that clogs pores hence preventing acne and blackheads.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients used in this skin rejuvenating yogurt face mask and their benefits for skin:
Benefit for Skin
Softens and moisturizes skin, rich in antioxidants which prevent free radical damage. Reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
Great exfoliant. Nourishes skin and removes excess sebum and dirt from deep within skin pores.
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon oats
- Combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix well.
- Apply a thick coat to your face with clean finger tips. Let it settle for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, gently rinse your face with warm water and ensure the entire mask comes off.
- Splash cold water on your face to close up your pores. Pat dry with a soft clean towel.
1. Use plain, unsweetened probiotic yogurt. Sweetened and flavoured types will cause skin irritations.
2. Do a facial steam before applying this mask to open up your pores and enable the nutrients of the mask to sink deep into your skin.
3. Gather your hair away from your face by tying it into a tight ponytail behind your head or placing a headband to keep the bangs away.
4. If your skin feels a bit stiff after this mask, rub a drop or two of olive oil into your face as a moisturizer.
2. Skin Brightening Face Mask: Yogurt and Strawberry Face Mask
This skin-brightening yogurt face mask contains three simple kitchen ingredients: yogurt, honey, and delicious strawberries! Strawberries are rich in vitamin C and salicylic acid. These powerful nutrients brighten, lighten, and cleanse oily, acne-prone skin, creating a clean and clear complexion. Honey boosts the anti-bacterial action of this yogurt and strawberry face mask.
Here are the skin benefits of the ingredients used in this yogurt face mask:
Benefits for Skin
Rich in vitamin C and both salicylic acid and alpha hydroxyl acids, strawberries provide skin brightening and lightening benefits.
Has antibacterial properties that make honey a great acne-busting ingredient. Also a natural skin moisturizer.
- 2 very ripe strawberries
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon probiotic yogurt
- Mash the ripe strawberries using the back of a fork in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the raw honey and yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Using clean fingers, apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your clean face in a circular motion.
- Sit for 15 minutes to let the mixture settle and dry out.
- After the time is up, gently scrub off the face mask using warm water.
- When the entire mask is off, splash cold water on your face to close up your pores. Pat dry with a soft towel.
- If your face feels dry and stiff, you can use coconut or olive oil as a natural moisturizer.
1. Test this mask on a portion of your skin to ensure you aren’t allergic to any of the ingredients.
2. Use ripe strawberries, because raw ones will be hard to mash into a pulp. Also use raw organic honey and probiotic plain yogurt with live cultures so that you reap the full benefits of this mask and avoid skin irritations.
3. When removing this yogurt face mask, make sure you wash all areas of your face, especially under your chin and the sides of your face, with warm water.
3. Moisturizing Face Mask: Avocado and Olive Oil Yogurt Face Mask
If you have dry, flaky skin, this mask is perfect for you! Coupled with moisturizing ingredients such as avocado and olive oil, this skin-soothing yogurt face mask will reduce skin peeling and flaking. Together the ingredients in the mask will nourish and revitalize rough, dry winter skin.
Here are the benefits of each ingredient in this mask:
Benefits for Skin
The creamy avocado contains healthy fats that provide nourishing benefits for skin. Also rich in vitamin E, it moisturizes and hydrates skin.
Rich in vitamin E, olive oil is a natural moisturizer that lubricates dehydrated skin.
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ avocado
- Mash the ripe avocado using the back of a fork and add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well, to make a thick paste.
- Slather a thick coat onto your clean face. Let it settle for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, gently use warm water to rinse your face.
- Splash cold water to close up your pores. Pat dry with a soft clean towel.
- Moisturize your face as needed. If you want to go natural, use coconut or olive oil to moisturize.
1. A ripe avocado will be easier to mash up with the back of a fork. If you want, you can also blend the avocado into a fine puree instead of mashing.
2. If the mask is tight and you have a bit difficulty removing tiny avocado lumps stuck to your face, don’t tug on it. Gently scrub the area with your fingertips and warm water.
3. Wear an old T-shirt over your clothes to prevent drips from the yogurt face masks. If you want to make your face masks less runny, you can buy the yogurt in paste form.
More Amazing DIY Face Masks!
Oatmeal Face Mask Recipes—These face masks are great for people with sensitive skin.
Amazing Avocado Face Masks—Avocado masks can help repair skin and make acne scars less visible.
Strawberry Face Masks—Strawberries contain salicylic acid, the same ingredient that is often found in commercial acne-fighting face cleansers. Make an all-natural face wash with salicylic acid with one of these recipes.
Honey Face Masks—Honey face masks are renowned for their moisturizing and hydrating properties.