I love discovering and sharing DIY beauty tips, especially all-natural solutions that you can easily make at home.
Home Cures for Rough Hands
The skin on our hands takes the brunt of every chore—from taking care of the kids to washing dishes to weeding the garden. To make things worse, these tasks mean that you have to wash your hands frequently. All of this daily wear inevitably leads to your hands looking as though they belong to someone older than you really are.
The soaps and other cleaning products we use today can cause your hands to look discoloured, wrinkly, and rough. Luckily, there’s no need to worry. Use these three extremely easy home remedies to get back the soft hands you once had!
1. One-Minute-to-Soft-Palms Scrub
Is it possible to soften your hands in less than a minute? Oh, yes it is! After a long day of work, why not give your hands instant pampering and refreshment? This wonderfully simple scrub will leave your hands feeling ten times smoother in just a minute.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Simply put the sugar in the palm of one hand and slowly pour the olive oil into it. Using your other palm start rubbing the scrub into your palms and hands.
- Massage your fingers and hands with gentle squeezing and circular motions for about 30 seconds.
- Then relax your palms and let the scrub sink in for another 30 seconds.
- Now you’re done! Simply wash out your hands with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel. So smooth, you can’t stop touching your hands, can you?
- Glove love. Detergents and dishwashing liquids contain harsh chemicals that can damage the thin skin on your hands, making them look dry, discoloured, and old. Make sure you use gloves while cleaning whenever possible!
- Oh, my glove! When working out in the gym, especially with dumbbells and other weights, it helps to wear workout gloves to protect your palms from getting hard and callused over time.
- Good night, sweet palms! During the night, we actually have six to eight hours of great opportunity to show some extra love to our hands. Invest in gentle hand cream, and apply it before going to bed! Your hands will thank you in the morning.
Benefits of Each Ingredient
Moisturizes and hydrates skin cells.
Exfoliates and sloughs off rough old, dead cells.
2. Overnight Treatment: Vaseline and Socks
Want to give your hands some extra special love? Why not try an overnight intense softening treatment using only two items:
- A pair of socks
Vaseline is known for its ability to lock in moisture and soften even the most callous palms. Many women mention Vaseline as their number one beauty secret.
After finishing all your activities for the day, wrap up by washing your hands with gentle soap and drying them off. Then get a dollop of Vaseline and rub it into your hands. Go ahead and take an extra 30 seconds to massage your hands gently. Then simply slip the socks over your hands and go to bed. Wake up the next day to supple, soft hands.
Instead of using socks, you could use fabric gloves, but a clean pair of old socks you don’t use anymore work just fine—and don't require a trip to the store.
- From the inside out. Ever heard of the saying, "You are what you eat"? It’s true that what you eat will show in your skin. Eat foods for glowing skin like avocados and nuts, and the vitamins and nutrients will give your skin a natural glow.
- Drink up. Not drinking enough water can cause your skin to get dry, rough, and patchy. Our bodies are made up of 70 percent water so if you’re not hydrated, it will show up on your skin. If you drink water only after your lips crack, you’re already dehydrated.
- Massage. When applying these natural DIY soft palm scrubs, you can also massage your hands together in a gentle relaxing manner. Gently massage your fingers, palms, and top of your hands. This will help the ingredients sink in and improve blood circulation.
3. Citrus Power: Lighten and Soften your Hands
Are your hands dark, discoloured, and aged-looking? Use citrus to lighten them while softening your palms.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Wash your hands with warm water and mild soap.
- In a small container, mix together all the ingredients evenly.
- Now apply this mixture onto your hands, rubbing it through and massaging your hands for a minute. Allow the mixture to sit on your hands for five to 10 minutes.
- Finally, wash your hands in warm water. Do not use soap directly afterwards. Repeat this process at least twice a week to remove discolouration and promote soft healthy-looking hands.
- Slather on the sunscreen! You’d be surprised how many people apply sunscreen on their faces but fail to adequately protect the skin on their hands. Before you head out, generously apply sunscreen to your hands. And yes, you need to reapply when you wash your hands!
- Too hot for your own good. Beauty experts will tell you how bad hot water is for your skin. Hot water causes the pores on the skin to open wide, and exposing it to such conditions may damage your skin. Washing frequently in hot water can dry out the skin and create wrinkles.
- Brrr! Not so cold! On the other end of the scale, extremely cold water isn’t good for your skin either. It can break the tiny capillaries under your skin, making it look discoloured, pale, or unhealthy. It also dries out the skin, and failure to moisturize can cause premature aging.
Benefits of the Ingredients
Contains citric acid, which gently lightens dark spots and discoloration on skin.
Contains numerous antioxidants, which slow down aging.
Exfoliates skin and sloughs off dead cells, revealing new clear skin cells.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Monday on August 23, 2020:
I will try it I hope he works for me
Buhle on July 25, 2020:
Wow it works, my hands feel so amazing
Goody on July 08, 2020:
Wow this is so simple,and wonderful I pray so it will work out for me
Sim stacy on July 01, 2020:
Candhi Berry on June 11, 2020:
Preshy on June 09, 2020:
Wyatt on May 04, 2020:
How does citric acid and baking soda mix? Baking soda is basic, and citrus is acidic. Acid+base=salt, so the baking soda cancels out the citric acid in lemons
lady eve on April 26, 2020:
My hands are pretty urgly ,n have tried a lot of things just looking for a permanent solution
Florence on April 17, 2020:
Wow! The olive oil + sugar work like magic... I love it. Thanks so much.
F.kelly on March 04, 2020:
I will try this
praise billy on February 11, 2020:
I hope it works for me
Chibueze on January 17, 2020:
I will try it and I pray it work out for me
BIANCA SARTIGA on January 08, 2020:
ok I WILL try this one right away (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤
Mateo lizzy on December 30, 2019:
I hope it works out!
Grace dove on October 30, 2019:
I hope it will work
Animah bridget on October 29, 2019:
am going to try it i just wish it works
sonali on October 18, 2019:
Austin on September 27, 2019:
how long will it take my hands to be soft
Slimmizzy on September 19, 2019:
Gonna try it tonight, pray it works.., thanks for the advice
aeni on March 21, 2019:
Joy on June 24, 2018:
I can wait to wake up to see this amazing mixture work
Yasir on January 12, 2018:
janemmah on October 09, 2017:
Wow it has worked olive oil + sugar
Umoh Nyong on September 20, 2017:
Vaseline works faster than any other recommended methods.
Shwiri laura on August 17, 2017:
I really need this caus i have rough n strong palms thanks for the advise
palwasha khan on June 18, 2017:
Thank you so much ............
Nayebare on January 27, 2017:
i see from most comments that olive oil and sugar do wonderfuly , is this permanent ? after how long do i keep re- doing it to keep soft hands . thanks lovelies
dani on November 19, 2016:
what type of sugar do you use for this? thanks!!
Lily on November 14, 2016:
It was just a superb idea to make our hands soft for whole day
Lee on November 05, 2016:
wow! i cant believe this,,,it actually worked #smoothhands
Lily on October 30, 2016:
hi may i ask how many times a week do you do the olive oil+sugar scrub? thanks!
blah on October 21, 2016:
i think i'm going to give it a try
Vasanta on October 04, 2016:
I will give a try. I really have rough hand, when ever you want shake hand with other it's embarrassing.
helen on August 04, 2016:
Shumi on July 16, 2016:
Caleb mandrake on May 27, 2016:
I really have to give it a try,my palms are embarrassing me when I meet people...
kelly on May 24, 2016:
Claire Jones on April 21, 2016:
I just tried the first one, and I love it!!!! Thank you!!!! :) (and you're right that I can't stop touching my hands haha)
Raman Sharma on April 06, 2016:
i will try today
firstname.lastname@example.org on March 26, 2016:
There are most positive cmnts
I will try tommorrow itself
umar on November 26, 2015:
i will try right a way
FRIDAY on July 08, 2015:
Thanks so much,cos with your tips,u had saved many 4m worries.I will try all,cos d dryness of my palms bothers me alot.
Wontemah on June 25, 2015:
The olive oil and sugar have worked for others and know it's going to work for me too.
Younes Belkasmi on June 19, 2015:
thank you very much for those methods , i tried the first one
it worked very well
rajusmenonbusiness@gmail menon on June 08, 2015:
Wow wonderful it had helped me lot
Daniela GB from Houston, TX on May 27, 2015:
These are great tips, thanks! Keeping your hands soft and moisturized can also make it harder to get cuts or lacerations when doing intensive hand work like gardening.
Lionking on May 22, 2015:
I hope this thing workz 4 me cause i hate how hard my palm gets,it made me not to lyk shaking nd holding hands with my girl...hope it works for me,so i can comment lyk otherz
Kwanele on May 18, 2015:
I wonder if this will work for me because my hands were never soft.It's embarrassing when i have to hold hands with a new boyfriend.My daughter is 11 years old and she cried one time saying that some kids at school say she has granny hands.My mom has these rough hands and i guess i passed them over to my daughter.I will try it and i hope it will reverse my "naturally rough hands".
Adrsddgjdtidtdjgcgictichfyf on April 25, 2015:
Nice I will try
syeda safura on April 17, 2015:
i should try this
M. Winters from United States on March 12, 2015:
I love this hub. Thanks for all the great ideas. This winter has been extremely tough on my hands. Making them dry and cracked. I am going to be trying these remedies.
Amal Tlaige from Albany, New York on February 18, 2015:
Vaseline is the only thing that works for me. Haven't tried them on overnight though, wonder if that'll be annoying.
Ana Maria Orantes from Miami Florida on January 30, 2015:
Hello miss healthmunsta. I try your remedy mixture on my hands. I love it. My hands feel smooth and some of the swelling reduce. Thank you. Have a nice time writing. I mix sugat, lemon and honey. Then , I used olive of oil after I washed them. Then, Iwashed more with a bar soap. I used a hand cream after.
Kiss andTales on January 27, 2015:
Wonderful hub ! I believe that many of our plants have healing substances for our human needs , somethings are so simple and easy to get and apply. I love olive oil it is valuable, honey, and lemon, also ,if you get sick with the flew just make you lemon tea
Include the rind , that is really where the healing substance is.
I learned that germs can not thrive in citrus acids, that is why people take a lot of vitamin c, or drink plenty of orange Juice. Thank you and I will continue to read your informative wonderful hubs
Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on January 27, 2015:
In the winter months especially (just finished applying some) I slather on lotions to keep dry skin at bay.
I will be giving some of these a try. I know I will adore the one with lemon as I am intoxicated by its aroma.
Thanks for sharing
Voted up+++ shared and g+
Angels are on the way to you this morning. ps
Ana Maria Orantes from Miami Florida on January 26, 2015:
Thank you for writing a great hub on how to make our hand healthy and soft. I like your hub. You are wonderful and thoughtful. Thank you for spending the time to figure out the rigth ingridients for each formula. I try sugar and bar soup. Then I applied some hand cream.Vaseline does wonders to the skin. Lemon , it is not a bad idea.
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on January 24, 2015:
Great tips! Easy to do that you cam make at home. I'm going to try the first two in the near future.
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on January 19, 2015:
Easy to try as we have usually all these things in our homes. Will definitely try the olive oil and sugar.
Rama on January 16, 2015:
Ive tried the olive oil and the sugar and am happy about the result.
Eileen from Western Cape , South Africa on January 13, 2015:
This looks like something I have to try so will definitely go for it
Heather Walton from Charlotte, NC on November 23, 2014:
Great tips!!! Hadn't thought of olive oil and sugar but I'm definitely mixing that up today!! Great article!
SAQIB from HYDERABAD PAKISTAN on November 06, 2014:
Thanks for such simple yet practical tips. Would definitely try out at least the 1st one.
Susan Caplan McCarthy from Massachusetts, USA on October 11, 2014:
Thank you for sharing these simple tips. I get frustrated with how dried out my hands become during the winter and how hand cream doesn't always help.
Blackspaniel1 on October 11, 2014:
This looks so simple to do.
jane on September 25, 2014:
Please, how often do I have to do these?
Charles on September 14, 2014:
I will definitely try this out.....need to get back my once succulent palms again
stanley on August 27, 2014:
i have tried the sugar and the olive oil and it worked very well. thank you very much
marisol on August 24, 2014:
I guess i would have to try it to know if it really domestic work.
sarita singh on August 21, 2014:
O m g my hands is like butter thanks.
Christine Rogers from Ohio on August 12, 2014:
My hands are pretty chapped- I must try each of these ideas. Thanks for the great Hub :)
msdielise on July 31, 2014:
I always use olive oil whenever I want to get the right moisture and smoothness of my skin. This works best after a good hand spa and you might want to sleep on it with let's say, cotton-like hand-gloves so that the skin will absorb the olive oil's nutrients. It's the the petroleum jelly effect for the feet but instead we are going to use olive oil on our hands.
Have a nice day fellow hubber. Thanks for the great hub!
Grimilda on May 08, 2014:
Wooww....I can't believe dix
It really works
I feel lyk a baby now
Dix soo great
I urge u to gv it a try
U'll luv ur new soft palms
Tnx a lot
healthmunsta (author) on March 06, 2014:
Thanks for coming back with your feedback, Ashanti! Wish you the best.
Ashanti on March 06, 2014:
I tried this stuff and it really worked
hassin on February 06, 2014:
I ve a little pigmentation on my cheeks n upper lips how to get rid of this problem kindly suggest