I have been an active advocate of alternative health therapies for 10 years, and I am the author of a book on essential oils.
How to Heal Cracked Feet Naturally
Cracked heels, also known as heel fissures, are a cosmetic problem that affects the outer epidermis of your feet. This occurs when the skin on the bottom of your feet becomes dry, hard, and flaky—sometimes creating cuts or wounds. This condition can cause a lot of discomfort and pain, and depending on how severe the cracking is, it could expose you to various forms of infections.
Read on to learn about how to naturally care for your feet. Find out what causes them and how you can prevent them from occurring in the future. Since cracked heels can also make you more prone to dangerous infections—especially if you are diabetic or immunosuppressed—you should always consult with your physician before beginning any course of treatment.
Never apply undiluted essential oils directly on the skin. For people with preexisting health conditions, discuss natural remedies with your physician before proceeding.
The Best Essential Oils for Heel Fissures
Below are some essential oils with properties that promote healthy skin:
- Peppermint is a common natural ingredient in foot-care products due to its ability to nourish the skin and restore skin health. It also possesses mild antimicrobial activity.
- Lavender has antifungal and antiseptic properties and is commonly used to resolve many skin issues such as acne, psoriasis, and burns. It is known to speed up the process of healing cuts and wounds.
- Patchouli is an antifungal and also contains powerful scar and wound-healing properties. It can help eliminate fissures and balance your skin.
- Cinnamon contains 80% phenols, mainly eugenol, which has anesthetic, antiseptic, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. It not only helps to heal cracked heels but also helps to prevent infections.
- Oregano is antimicrobial and is often used to get rid of foot fungus and infections due to its antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.
- Argan oil should actually be considered a carrier oil, not an essential oil. It can be applied directly to the skin and is great for irritation, sunburns, or extra dry or cracked skin because it is rich in vitamin A and vitamin E which boost cellular regeneration.
How to Use These Oils
To apply these essential oils, pour a few drops into a carrier oil like argan oil, almond oil, rosehip oil, or coconut oil in your palm and massage directly onto your heels. You can also add a few drops of essential oil into your natural foot soak to help soothe and heal your dry, cracked skin. For a more moisturizing option, you can also create a cream that incorporates these oils. Always follow proper dilution recommendations.
Preparing Essential Oil Blends (Moisturizing Cream Recipe)
Essential oil blends are considered to be one of the most effective ways to resolve cracked feet because combining more than one essential oil increases the healing power of each oil. To prepare your own moisturizer, follow the instructions below.
- Use a base product, preferably cocoa butter. Melt it into a frying pan under low heat.
- Wait for the base product to melt completely.
- Then, add a few drops of your preferred essential oil.
- Stir the ingredients together until everything is fully mixed.
- Wait for the concoction to cool.
- If you want a thinner consistency, add a carrier oil such as almond oil or argan oil.
Cracked heels are so common that manufacturers have produced a variety of products to address this problem. If you prefer not to make your own cream, there are several treatment options that you can use to reverse the symptoms of heel fissures:
Over-the-Counter Medications and Creams
You can buy these in pharmacies and health shops without a prescription. For medications, make sure to consult with your physician to avoid harmful side effects.
Read More From Bellatory
Foot Soak and Scrub
This method is intended to eliminate the symptoms of cracked heels, but it does not actually treat the problem.
This type of footwear is designed to provide maximum support for your feet. This can really help when the cause of heel fissures is due to the excessive pressure that is put on your heels (from excess weight or poorly fitted shoes).
Symptoms of Cracked Heels
Any of the following could be signs that you have heel fissures:
- Pain and discomfort
- Dry, hard, thickened skin
- Flaky patches
- Peeling skin
- Discharge (particularly in the area of cracking)
There is a high risk that these symptoms could develop into a secondary infection if not properly addressed and treated by a professional, which is why you need to seek treatment upon the first sign of symptoms.
What Causes Heel Fissures?
Some common causes of heel fissures include:
- Excessive weight and obesity which places a lot of strain on your feet.
- Walking on rough surfaces over extended periods of time.
- Any activity that adds a lot of pressure on your feet such as walking or prolonged standing.
- Lack of cushioning on the sides of your shoes. (This causes excessive strain on the skin, causing it to crack.)
- Skin diseases such as eczema, athlete's foot, or psoriasis.
- Lack of proper foot hygiene.
- Diabetes or an under-active thyroid.
As mentioned, always work with your health-care provider if your symptoms are severe or you are in pain. For individuals with preexisting health conditions, consult with your physician before attempting natural remedies. Essential oils should never be applied to the skin undiluted.
With a little effort, you can achieve healthy-looking feet. Be sure to share your success stories below!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
fashion on July 15, 2011:
very info hub.It had solved a common problem of many people.